Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 38169 times)

gosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2005, 03:34:51 PM »
but no duck sauce

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2005, 03:58:33 PM »
Why in the HELL was this thread brought back?
I thought we put a bullet through its head and buried it in a shallow grave.
Quit living in the past, LSD!
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

SkullTatt

« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2005, 07:25:13 PM »
I want to go to a mostly black law school in a mostly white area. I want Queen Latifah for my Con Law professor, and Jennifer Coolidge as the ditzy, beleagured, first-ever-white Dean of Students.

LawBoundLoser

• AOL Instant Messenger - TheOmidFactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2005, 01:22:51 AM »
Strange how the beginning of this thread was so congenial and now its just a judgementfest.

Some minorities feel more comfortable with their own type.
Some whites feel more comfortable with their own type.

Why is it ok for minorities to feel this way but wrong for whites???

Where's the consistency? Where's the integrity?

I heard the same BS when I was in high school... "Why don't we have an white student coalition?" "Why don't we have a white business student club?"

BECAUSE, you're home! You're the norm! You've got priviledges! Minority students who want simply to be around their own kind are just as racist as a similar white person... but it's more complicated than that.... it's often the case that groups of people of similar origins get together to pool sympathy and create a safe environment for growth and progress... where people aren't over their shoulders judging them for, e.g., declaring URM disadvantages.

I'm not a URM, but I am in a minority group. I understand that it's tough to appreciate how difficult little things become when prejudices run wild, because many people rarely face those prejudices. But sometimes you want to be in an atmosphere where privilidged people can't point at you, probe, judge and stereotype. It's nice to be among other "ethnic" folks, who can appreciate how truly NOT different you are. For F*ck's sake...
Legal: Temple
Paralegal: Texas
Illegal: Georgetown, GWU

"We believe in nothing, Lebowski"

wallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2005, 04:08:22 PM »
Strange how the beginning of this thread was so congenial and now its just a judgementfest.

Some minorities feel more comfortable with their own type.
Some whites feel more comfortable with their own type.

Why is it ok for minorities to feel this way but wrong for whites???

Where's the consistency? Where's the integrity?

I heard the same BS when I was in high school... "Why don't we have an white student coalition?" "Why don't we have a white business student club?"

BECAUSE, you're home! You're the norm! You've got priviledges! Minority students who want simply to be around their own kind are just as racist as a similar white person... but it's more complicated than that.... it's often the case that groups of people of similar origins get together to pool sympathy and create a safe environment for growth and progress... where people aren't over their shoulders judging them for, e.g., declaring URM disadvantages.

I'm not a URM, but I am in a minority group. I understand that it's tough to appreciate how difficult little things become when prejudices run wild, because many people rarely face those prejudices. But sometimes you want to be in an atmosphere where privilidged people can't point at you, probe, judge and stereotype. It's nice to be among other "ethnic" folks, who can appreciate how truly NOT different you are. For F*ck's sake...

What a huge steamy pile of excrement. On the one hand, you want to claim that your presence is essential to desirable "educational objectives" and claim URM so you can get in despite being  underqualified on the basis of diversity of character or intellect or god knows what the hell diversity actually means beyond a certain number of blacks and browns per class. On the other hand, you want to hang out with other minorities so you can  appreciate how "NOT different" you are? For F*ck's sake....

Its so obvious that all other races have an inferiority complex, as groups, vis a vis the white race. Get over it, no thinking person thinks any race is inferior or superior to any other race.

LawBoundLoser

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2005, 07:30:33 PM »
On the one hand, you want to claim that your presence is essential to desirable "educational objectives" and claim URM so you can get in despite being  underqualified on the basis of diversity of character or intellect or god knows what the hell diversity actually means beyond a certain number of blacks and browns per class.

I didn't claim URM. But I am in a minority group.

My presence is not essential to a desirable educational atmosphere... diversity of views are essential. Whether those diverse views inhere in racial, religious, gender, etc., differences. And, wow... you've showed yourself to be a remarkable racist. "Blacks and browns?"

Bearing in mind, there's a directly proportional relation of degrees of racism to degrees of stupidity.

On the other hand, you want to hang out with other minorities so you can  appreciate how "NOT different" you are? For F*ck's sake....

Its so obvious that all other races have an inferiority complex, as groups, vis a vis the white race. Get over it, no thinking person thinks any race is inferior or superior to any other race.

Aside to the education question, and regarding the question of people being around others of their kind:
Yeah, basically, you've been a case in point. You sound pretty hostile. How the hell can us "blacks and browns" get the message to you?  Until that message arrives, we'll try to hang out in groups or clubs with fellow people "like us" and with people who are not like us but understand racism. Why? Because of you. You sound dangerous and angry at us "blacks and browns". I'll be damned if I can't form a club where we discuss how awful it is to read messages like yours.

Inferiority complex...? No. Thanks for your wise assessment of the mentality of minority groups in the States. You've shown yourself to have a real grip on our perspective. Most people who are judged negatively by virtue of their race, appearance, religion, etc., feel uncomfortable, offended, etc. Not inferior. If anything, there's a sense of intellectual superiority of victims of racism to their racist counterparts. You'd have to be stupid to be a racist. Period.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2005, 08:36:20 AM »
i hear howard is a pretty white school in a pretty white town.

if that doesn't work out, there's this resource: top ten whitest law schools:
http://academic.udayton.edu/race/03justice/LegalEd/Whitest/
case '09

wallaby

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2005, 01:18:08 PM »
I didn't claim URM. But I am in a minority group.

uh huh

My presence is not essential to a desirable educational atmosphere... diversity of views are essential. Whether those diverse views inhere in racial, religious, gender, etc., differences. And, wow... you've showed yourself to be a remarkable racist. "Blacks and browns?"

Diversity of views, right, as if LSATs indicate a certain viewpoint. I agree that different views are essential, but I totally disagree that race has anything to do with viewpoint.

I'm not a racist, but you are, RACIST!

Bearing in mind, there's a directly proportional relation of degrees of racism to degrees of stupidity.

That's about as intelligent as me saying there is a direct relationship between low IQ and blackness.

Aside to the education question, and regarding the question of people being around others of their kind:
Yeah, basically, you've been a case in point. You sound pretty hostile. How the hell can us "blacks and browns" get the message to you?

What message is it that blacks and browns feel compelled to "get to me"? Noone has anything to say to me based on his skin color.

Until that message arrives, we'll try to hang out in groups or clubs with fellow people "like us" and with people who are not like us but understand racism. Why? Because of you. You sound dangerous and angry at us "blacks and browns". I'll be damned if I can't form a club where we discuss how awful it is to read messages like yours.

You are correct, I am dangerous, because I am one of millions of Americans who sees AA for what it really is, racial favoritism - and it will be over-turned. I suppose I am also dangerous because I truely do not see color, I believe the races are equal in every way and yet, I wont make allowances for any race based on the actions, past or present, of any other race. The laws are on the books now, segregation is illegal and discrimination based on race is illegal. I consider that the matter is closed. I refuse to allow myself to be dragged down and held accountable for the actions of the basest among us.

Most people who are judged negatively by virtue of their race, appearance, religion, etc., feel uncomfortable, offended, etc. Not inferior. If anything, there's a sense of intellectual superiority of victims of racism to their racist counterparts. You'd have to be stupid to be a racist. Period.

I dont see people judged by virtue of their race or religion. If I saw it happen, I would be sure to speak out, because it would make me feel uncomfortable as well simply to be in the same room, regardless of my race, religion or appearance.

As for your comment about being stupid and being racist, well, its just wishful thinking. There are plenty of racists who are incredibly intelligent people. You should not underestimate the power of instinct in the human race. Nor should you brush off those people who's views you find objectionable as "stupid."

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2005, 05:21:07 AM »
Get over it, no thinking person thinks any race is inferior or superior to any other race.

... a few posts later ...

There are plenty of racists who are incredibly intelligent people.

... jsia ...

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

LawBoundLoser

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2005, 11:06:05 AM »
As for your comment about being stupid and being racist, well, its just wishful thinking. There are plenty of racists who are incredibly intelligent people. You should not underestimate the power of instinct in the human race. Nor should you brush off those people who's views you find objectionable as "stupid."

I'll not answer your other comments (because my previous comment to which you replied seems to have been lost to futility), but would like to point out that ALL racists are indeed stupid. I define intelligence, of course, as being able (among many other things) to silence emotional or cultural (non-logical) influence to see good arguments and facts shine through. This would include being hit (as if by a train) by the fact (call it an argument, if you need persuasion) that racism is wrong.

Hitler is a popular example of a smart racist. But as Germany declined and the Russians invaded, and when he didn't surrender, he sentenced much of his civilian population to (effectively) death. The foregoing fact paints a rather stupid picture of old Adolf. History simply regards him as being a good salesman of racism... only racists regard him as intelligent.

Name anyone! If they think racism is right, they are definitely stupid. Because imagine having a debate with them... they would be committed to totally dubious premises to justify racism. Committing oneself to dubios premises is characteristic of stupidity.