Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 38051 times)

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 01:07:53 PM »
No one's bitter. We're simply stating fact. So what is white culture anyway?

Your passive-aggressiveness both astounds and impresses me.  Good job.

I'm thinking about changing my screen name to "wht_rules", BTW.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »
What if you want to go to a white law school not because you hate different races but you just REALLY, REALLY like white people?

Like they turn you on, like some people get off on feathers and hot wax, others just really dig other white people.  There's no reason for it- it's just there, crying out like an animal that needs to be fed.  Is that so wrong?

Let the people explore their sexual preferences, for cryin' out loud!

;)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 01:14:50 PM »
change your name if you'd like...doesn't bother me any... Just shows how disconnected you are. My screenname isn't blk_reigns, blk_rules etc.. Instead of ASSuming there's a hidden message you should simply ask what it means. There's no need for me to be aggressive here. I simply asked a question that has yet to be answered. What is White culture?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

WoeIsMe

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2005, 01:15:09 PM »
I've pondered this viewpoint myself.

I went to an elementary school in an inner city where I was one of TWELVE white students (no exaggeration- that was the total for all six grades).

I think it made me a better person.

But I've also come to conclude that it's not racist to want to live among certain people.  If I choose to live among people who are purple, that's my choice.

We all have personal freedom.

Racism, on the other hand, is where you wish to deter another's personal freedom through intimidation or physical violence.  If I want to live near white people and decide that the best way to do that is to scare off black people, that's racism.  But if I go online and do some research and decide that Montana is the whitest place around, there's nothing racist about packing my bags and buying a couple plane tickets.

In fact, it would be racist to make the person stay where they don't want to be- is this not slavery?

The decision to live among people who look and think like yourself might be ignorant, stupid, and lazy- but it's not racist.

This is a really interesting post.  I would argue that moving to a place because it's white is prejudiced, but not discriminatory.  It's still technically "racist" however, since it's action based upon racial justification.

You make a good point.  I wonder what would happen in this scenario if Chicano people started moving en masse to Montana and upset the balance?  Interesting thought.

give me a break.. that's as good as saying someone choosing Harvard is doing so because they're prejudice against stupid people.. someone choosing florida state is prejudice against anti football people.. someone choosing a primarily female college is anti male.. and someone choosing MIT is prejudice against anti-science people.

btw: your comment with the plantation really showed the earnest interest.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2005, 01:15:40 PM »
Why do places have "Chinatowns" or whatever?

Probably because at the time these areas were formed white people didn't want them anywhere else. Not saying they wouldn't have formed otherwise but I don't think that it was entirely a matter of choice.

The OP had to have known that posting something like this would evoke some negative reaction. It wouldn't take much time to research this and find out this information for yourself.

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2005, 01:16:56 PM »
I am calm.  Mobell if you think taunting the OP by mentioning plantations and accusing him of "white flight" is the mature way to go about things then I really don't know what to tell you. 

Of course it has to do with socialization, I never said it didn't.  If you look at my message I talked about culture and not genetics or race so I am not really sure what your point is.  People naturally want to be around people of their own culture because they understand it.  Cultural differences can be extreme (ie drop me, a unilingual English speaker into Japan or France or Germany and it would be impossible for me to function--if I found a group of English people there I'd want to be around them) or they can be less extreme (ie differences in food, some cultures have a lot of pork in their diet while others dont eat pork for religious reasons).  The level of comfort one feels is personal for everyone. 

Finally, I'm deeply sorry for my immaturity.  Next time I'll stick to the mature topics:  plantations, white flight, etc...

critic

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »
I just want to point out one thing:

The original poster on this board said that he wanted to go to a white school to be around white people. He also said, rightfully, that other white people felt the same way, and other white posters on this board agreed that they simply felt more comfortable around other white people.

Therefore, minority people are disadvantaged when applying for jobs in mostly white corporations (which, lets face it, are most law corporations) because white employers would prefer to hire a white applicant who they admittedly feel more comfortable around.

If minority applicants are thus disadvantaged in applying to jobs, we can all understand why there is a need for affirmative action in law school admissions to "level the playing field".

I am a huge proponent of AA, and am frankly thrilled that the white posters here admitted wholeheartedly to the main argument behind affirmative action.

Cool, go to your white schools. But you can't say you "don't get" affirmative action anymore.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/30000.html

Montana is 0.3% black.  That's not a typo.

change your name if you'd like...doesn't bother me any... Just shows how disconnected you are. My screenname isn't blk_reigns, blk_rules etc.. Instead of ASSuming there's a hidden message you should simply ask what it means. There's no need for me to be aggressive here. I simply asked a question that has yet to be answered. What is White culture?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=reign

Lemme tell you, it was heard deciphering the hidden message in your name- I had to visit another website!  Horrors!

As far as White Culture is concerned, it mostly revolves around watching Frasier reruns and drinking Miller High Life after playing croquet.

And then there's Stonehenge.  And the Mona Lisa.

Take your pick.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2005, 01:26:17 PM »
I've pondered this viewpoint myself.

I went to an elementary school in an inner city where I was one of TWELVE white students (no exaggeration- that was the total for all six grades).

I think it made me a better person.

But I've also come to conclude that it's not racist to want to live among certain people.  If I choose to live among people who are purple, that's my choice.

We all have personal freedom.

Racism, on the other hand, is where you wish to deter another's personal freedom through intimidation or physical violence.  If I want to live near white people and decide that the best way to do that is to scare off black people, that's racism.  But if I go online and do some research and decide that Montana is the whitest place around, there's nothing racist about packing my bags and buying a couple plane tickets.

In fact, it would be racist to make the person stay where they don't want to be- is this not slavery?

The decision to live among people who look and think like yourself might be ignorant, stupid, and lazy- but it's not racist.

This is a really interesting post.  I would argue that moving to a place because it's white is prejudiced, but not discriminatory.  It's still technically "racist" however, since it's action based upon racial justification.

You make a good point.  I wonder what would happen in this scenario if Chicano people started moving en masse to Montana and upset the balance?  Interesting thought.

give me a break.. that's as good as saying someone choosing Harvard is doing so because they're prejudice against stupid people.. someone choosing florida state is prejudice against anti football people.. someone choosing a primarily female college is anti male.. and someone choosing MIT is prejudice against anti-science people.

btw: your comment with the plantation really showed the earnest interest.

Um...actually that isn't true. The original poster stated that he/she grew up in diverse areas and was ready for a change. So it's obvious that he/she is seeking to eliminate being around diversity.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2005, 01:29:53 PM »
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/30000.html

Montana is 0.3% black.  That's not a typo.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=reign

Lemme tell you, it was heard deciphering the hidden message in your name- I had to visit another website!  Horrors!

As far as White Culture is concerned, it mostly revolves around watching Frasier reruns and drinking Miller High Life after playing croquet.

And then there's Stonehenge.  And the Mona Lisa.

Take your pick.

HMM I Love Frasier... I know the dictionary meaning of reign genius- however that doesn't     enlighten you any further on the basis of my screenname..