Law School Discussion

Thoughts on UW Madison?

Thoughts on UW Madison?
« on: January 15, 2005, 12:51:52 AM »
Hey, I was wondering what everyone here knows/thinks about UW Madison? I'm attracted by this school (which is weird because I live in CA) probably because I like small towns, the low tuition, and it's relatively low admission standards for such a high ranking. I believe the 50% accepted last year was 3.3 and a 161. It's ranked #31, so that's definitely pretty surprising.

I wonder if they give a big perference to Wisconsin applicants? Also, what's the deal with it's median GPA/LSAT with it's ranking being so high? I might be missing something here...

dr_draino

Re: Thoughts on UW Madison?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 12:55:41 AM »
Hope you like cold and snow too...

DOWNY

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 01:01:19 AM »
Madison's alright, I personally wouldn't want to be in WI but then again I ended up at it's TTT cousin MN, so I guess if you like the school go for it. It will place well in the midwest and Madison is a good town to get drunk in when you have time.

I don't know anything about it's ranking. What is it ranked?

RocketBot

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:49:14 AM »
I'd say it's probably a more regional school, especially considering that the law school is located just a mile (less?) from the state capitol building...  and the state bar is not required for graduates to practice law-- would seem to heavily attract WI-oriented people.  I'm sure WI law students have excellent opportunities to work in state government.

There's always a huge advantage to going to the top school in the state, the degree will hold plenty of weight within WI.  But I'd imagine a Madison law degree isn't as respected relative to a Madison undergrad degree on the national level (for obvious reasons)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
It's ranked #31 and the "no bar exam" priviledge is actually for all the states in the region (from what I understand) which includes Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan etc.

I think it's around page 28, here's the url to the bar admission information:

http://www.ncbex.org/pubs/pdf/2003CompGuide.pdf

We discussed this about a week ago here.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 07:15:01 PM »
bump.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 07:21:37 PM »
I got in and I'm in Cali too... but I wouldn't be too excited about that "low tuition" thing...  Looks like it's pretty damn hard to get residency in the state.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 11:04:18 PM »
What were your numbers? And I thought it was pretty standard to get residency after one year?

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 10:03:10 AM »
It's ranked #31 and the "no bar exam" priviledge is actually for all the states in the region (from what I understand) which includes Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan etc.

I think it's around page 28, here's the url to the bar admission information:

http://www.ncbex.org/pubs/pdf/2003CompGuide.pdf

We discussed this about a week ago here.

If you go to Wisconsin, you are only admitted to the Wisconsin Bar, no other state. 

HTH

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 12:23:43 PM »
What were your numbers? And I thought it was pretty standard to get residency after one year?

LSAT: 162, LSDAS GPA: 3.57.   

As for residency?  Check out their website.  You have to somehow "prove" that you're in the state for something other than educational purposes.