Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Pittsburgh...DING  (Read 2602 times)

nicoley013

• View Profile
University of Pittsburgh...DING
« on: January 14, 2005, 12:39:18 PM »
Just got my first law school letter, and it was a rejection from University of Pittsburgh.  My lsat/gpa was 152/3.4.  Thought I had a chance but, apparently I heard that Pitt takes preference of Out of State applicants, and since i have lived in pittsburgh my whole life, that doesn't help me much.  Has anyone else heard of this or gotten rejected from Pitt or gotten into Pitt with my sort of numbers?

Whygohome

• Sr. Citizen
  • If you don't get into LS you can always work here.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Pittsburgh...DING
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »
Haven't heard yet, but they just requested my report last week, 157 and 2.82. I am out of state though, hope it'll give me a chance despite my GPA. When did you send in your stuff, how long did it take them to answer you and how did they answer? Letter, e-mail, etc.? Good luck.
Stats: 2.82(3.24) 152,157
Accepted: Widener, Mich St., Gonzaga
Denied: Seattle, IU-Indy, Pitt, Willamette, Case
WL: SIUC, UMKC
Pending: Duquesne, and Pacific.

nicoley013

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 04:37:18 PM »
I sent my application in 11/30 and I heard from them by snail mail.  Good Luck.  Where else have you applied and have you heard anything from those schools?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 05:33:42 PM »
Unfortunately most law schools consider the LSAT even more (or at least as much as) GPA.  And the median LSAT at Pitt is currently a 160 I think.  It sucks that they take LSAT into account so much.

Try to make sure that you apply to some schools where your LSAT falls near the median.  You could definately try Duquesne in Pittsbugh.  They have pretty good job prospects as well.

Whygohome

• Sr. Citizen
  • If you don't get into LS you can always work here.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »
I sent my application in 11/30 and I heard from them by snail mail.  Good Luck.  Where else have you applied and have you heard anything from those schools?

Haven't heard from anyone yet...but I just completed all my apps a couple of weeks ago.

Seattle U., Williamette, Southern Illinois, Case Western, Indiana-Indianapolis, Missouri-KC, and Pacific.
Stats: 2.82(3.24) 152,157
Accepted: Widener, Mich St., Gonzaga
Denied: Seattle, IU-Indy, Pitt, Willamette, Case
WL: SIUC, UMKC
Pending: Duquesne, and Pacific.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »
Sorry that you did not get into Pitt.

Good luck with the rest of your apps! :)
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »
I want to go to Pitt or Duquesne. My longtime girlfriend lives there and that would be perfect for the both of us. I applied to Duquesne already and am awaiting that decision. My gpa is a 3.3 (penn state) and 151LSAT. Should I even apply to Pitt? I think their 25th percentile is a 157 and my grades are in the 50th percentile. Or would I be wasting my time? I'd rather not spend another $60 (considering I've already spent almost $600 on app fees) just to get rejected. Plus I've been rejected from Akron which is not nearly as good as Pitt. Your advice would be helpful Thanks

HURLEY- L.S.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 03:36:56 PM »
Zuck,
  It would be a much better idea if you applied to Duquesne and didn't apply to Pitt.  They appear to be raising the bar on their LSAT/GPA percentiles.  At this late in the game, your extracurriculars and personal statement will be also be overlooked since their application volume is getting heavy, and index-cutoff points begin to be the normal protocol..

lauralynne

• Sr. Citizen
  • '02 PSU Alum
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LangelK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 08:33:42 PM »
I want to go to Pitt or Duquesne. My longtime girlfriend lives there and that would be perfect for the both of us. I applied to Duquesne already and am awaiting that decision. My gpa is a 3.3 (penn state) and 151LSAT. Should I even apply to Pitt? I think their 25th percentile is a 157 and my grades are in the 50th percentile. Or would I be wasting my time? I'd rather not spend another $60 (considering I've already spent almost $600 on app fees) just to get rejected. Plus I've been rejected from Akron which is not nearly as good as Pitt. Your advice would be helpful Thanks

I went to Penn State too...do I know you?  Try Duquesne...I think the median is a 156
I will be a Nittany Lion turned Pitt Panther for 1L 2005.

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=xpsupiphi

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 02:23:48 PM »
for what it's worth, i got a fast acceptance at duquesne with a 3.44/154 combo.
post-3L