Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baseless rumors and pointless gossip  (Read 1469 times)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Baseless rumors and pointless gossip
« on: April 30, 2004, 06:22:25 PM »
This was posted at the 4lawschool during our little stay.

As law school message board junkies, we all hear crazy rumors about the admissions process at a given school, some of which turn out to be true, and most of which end up being false. I thought it might be fun to just share some of the rumors and gossip about law school and the admission process, and maybe even gain some support for the more common ones.

I'll start: 1. I heard that there are approx. 30 people who received that email saying they're still being actively considered for admissions to Yale. This comes straight from a random poster on a random board, so take it with a HUGE helping of salt.

2. I heard that a lot of schools ended up over enrolled last year, because mroe people attended law school than the admissions people expected. Because of this, the rumor is that schools are being more conservative with admittances than in the past, and more people will be called up from WL's than usual. I heard this from several people on message boards, and from a pre-law advisor at my school.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

thechoson

Re: Baseless rumors and pointless gossip
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 06:23:29 PM »
zpops-
The WL thing makes total sense.  I am actually wondering, because of all that, if any schools will actually end up with a SMALLER class than they really wanted?

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 06:28:49 PM »
here's my transplant from the other board...

One school I applied to extended their application deadline no less than five times this season. I heard from a 2L (who's semi-involved in the admissions office) it was because they weren't getting enough applicants. But when my WL letter came, they said I was waitlisted because they were having a hard time keeping their class size down (they're a really small school and they like it that way) because there was an influx of applicants.

Also in the letter I got this year, a lot of things made me think they'd just taken the form letter from last year, slapped my name on it, and sent it out with no regard to the actual content. Applicant statistics were from last year and the dates were off.

Something screwy's going on...
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

Ivy_Bound

• IVY Class of '07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 07:38:43 PM »
Its true.  I just heard from Yale today.  apparently we should be hearing a final decision very soon.  I will keep you posted!
Columbia or Stanford?

JohnBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 08:59:41 PM »
Its true.  I just heard from Yale today.  apparently we should be hearing a final decision very soon.  I will keep you posted!

I can't tell if you are serious or not about applying to Yale...

I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, but going by last year's numbers, Yale only admitted 3 out of 391 applicants that tested in the 155-159 range...given your LSAT score in the low 140's, I don't know how realistic of a chance you have of being admitted

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 09:19:14 PM »

Dude, what in God's name are you talking about?!?!

Chris

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 09:29:52 PM »

If you're really a Yale applicant, then post the email you got saying you were still a competitive candidate, along with the date it was sent.  If you do this, then everyone will stop accusing you of lying.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 09:36:59 PM »

If you're really a Yale applicant, then post the email you got saying you were still a competitive candidate, along with the date it was sent.  If you do this, then everyone will stop accusing you of lying.

This is so ridiculous. Honestly, the only way this person would be accepted to an Ivy is via blackmail. Even if s/he volunteered for the Red Cross to help victims of civil war in Rwanda they would not be accepted with that score. No way. Stop posting this nonsense.

Chris

Ivy_Bound

• IVY Class of '07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 10:05:37 PM »
sorry, my LSAT is 152, its a typo and ive been too lazy to fix it.  you guys dont have any idea who i am or else you would not be messing with me the way you are.

Columbia or Stanford?

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 10:07:23 PM »
sorry, my LSAT is 152, its a typo and ive been too lazy to fix it.  you guys dont have any idea who i am or else you would not be messing with me the way you are.

Ghandi?