Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Coverting your GPA  (Read 1824 times)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Coverting your GPA
« on: April 29, 2004, 04:08:01 PM »
I went to a university which gave out grade points as grades.  So when I received an A+, I received a correlating 4.0.  So when I received A's they fell somewhere in between 3.5-4.0.  But the LSAC scale seems to put me at a disadvantage because other's A+'s would be a 4.3.  Does anyone know if they account for this?  If they do, I would actually improve my stats. 

Pystle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coverting your GPA
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 01:48:19 AM »
They use the same decimil system with all A+'s, A's, A-'s etc. If your school's A+ is a 4.0 and mine is 4.33 it doesn't matter because LSAC will compute both of the A+'s into 4.33's.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 01:54:22 PM »
Yes, but in my school I actually receive a 4.0 as a grade.  And if my A+ isn't quite good enough, I would receive a 3.9.  So I would receive GPAs for all of my classes.  For example, I would receive a 3.6 in Econ, 3.4 in Poli Sci, etc.  Therefore, my A in Econ would only be counted as a 3.6, instead of a 4.0.  It just really isn't a fair system.  I received many A's and A-'s which did not count for as much as others at different schools towards there GPA's.  I think that it will convert without any change, but I just think it is unfair.  Oh well, what can I do?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 09:27:55 PM »
I'm not positive about this, so you should probably e-mail LSAC and ask (they've always been quick to reply to my e-mails).  But I would guess that they have grading scales from all the schools in the country, if your transcript doesn't automatically come with it, especially since it's different from the common transcript.  If that's the case, they would know that a 4.0 is an A+ at your school, would convert your grades into regular A+ to F grades, and then convert those grades into 4.33 to 0 points.  But again, e-mail LSAC and ask.  They are an amazing source of information.  Not to downplay message boards or anything, but it's not like any of us are experts.  Whenver possible, ask the authority your question, whether it's LSAC or a particular law school's admissions counselors or whatever.  Don't rely only on what other applicants think of the situation.

Good luck!

Yes, but in my school I actually receive a 4.0 as a grade.  And if my A+ isn't quite good enough, I would receive a 3.9.  So I would receive GPAs for all of my classes.  For example, I would receive a 3.6 in Econ, 3.4 in Poli Sci, etc.  Therefore, my A in Econ would only be counted as a 3.6, instead of a 4.0.  It just really isn't a fair system.  I received many A's and A-'s which did not count for as much as others at different schools towards there GPA's.  I think that it will convert without any change, but I just think it is unfair.  Oh well, what can I do?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?