Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 12 year old strangles 8 year old  (Read 4613 times)

Delta Zeta Girl

• View Profile
12 year old strangles 8 year old
« on: April 29, 2004, 03:40:37 PM »
Do any of you feel that this child should be tried as an adult or at least given more time for rehabilitation?  I find it very disturbing that a child could do this.

http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/other/1110/4-28-2004/20040428153004_43.html

jgruber

Re: 12 year old strangles 8 year old
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 03:44:24 PM »
It would be hard to believe this kid is sane.

Delta Zeta Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 03:45:09 PM »
I think he must have been abused or something.

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 03:47:44 PM »
Trailer park trash.
But this highlights I think a problem in this country that kind of gets lost in the shuffle.  There are many people living in extreme poverty in all areas, and quite a bit of them happen to be caucasian.  Sometimes this gets lost in the shuffle because this country equates poverty to minorities too often.

Delta Zeta Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 03:51:22 PM »
Here we go. I knew something was up. 
This is from the LA Times

Neighbors at the trailer park where Amy and the boy lived said Wednesday there had been plenty of signs that he was violent.

He often told neighbors that his father beat him, sometimes with a baseball bat, said Shelly Bowman, 27. Police had visited the park when the boy was accused of stealing, and he was so rough with other children that Bowman had threatened to call the police, she said.

"There's no way you should draw your fist out to hit my 4-year-old, who was just playing," she said.

As the sun set Monday night, the 12-year-old was agitated, Bowman said. She had asked him to leave her trailer because she didn't feel her kids were safe around him. Leaving for the grocery store, she left orders with the baby-sitters not to allow him back inside. He pounded on the window, but they did not let him in, she said.

"It upset him real bad," she said.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 04:20:18 PM »
Trailer park trash.
But this highlights I think a problem in this country that kind of gets lost in the shuffle.  There are many people living in extreme poverty in all areas, and quite a bit of them happen to be caucasian.  Sometimes this gets lost in the shuffle because this country equates poverty to minorities too often.

Hey, I lived in a 'trailer park' for a number of years.  Careful.

Delta Zeta Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 04:22:18 PM »
So did the victim in this case

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 04:27:07 PM »
Trailer park trash.

EXCUSE YOU.

I have lived in a trailer.  I have had relatives who have lived in trailers.  I know many people who do/did live in a trailer.  I do not appreciate you ridiculing/stereotyping people who live in trailer.  I would prefer you to refer to the boy and his family as "white trash," thank you very much.

8)

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 04:36:36 PM »
Is 'white trash' really any better?

Leave the labels out.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 04:40:28 PM »
I don't actually mind the term, 'white trash.'  I'm white and I have used that term to describe some sorry-ass bastards I've come across.  But I suppose I understand that you don’t want to have some AA dispute arise out of another nice and friendly post, so I’ll agree. 

No ‘white trash’ either.