Law School Discussion

What will you be bringing to one hell ?

dr_draino

Re: What will you be bringing to one hell ?
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2005, 12:05:26 PM »
It's my assumption that the lectures will be boring enough the first time around.

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2005, 12:14:45 PM »
It's my assumption that the lectures will be boring enough the first time around.

Well, it's my understanding that lectures aren't common for 1L classes. Actually, I hope that's the case wherever I end up. I've experienced the Socratic method before and learned more in that class than in 4 years of college combined. I guess that method of teaching just matches my method of learning.

dr_draino

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2005, 12:20:37 PM »
In all the ones I've sat in on, there's still plenty of lecture invovled...it's socratic-ish. 

Well, it's my understanding that lectures aren't common for 1L classes. Actually, I hope that's the case wherever I end up. I've experienced the Socratic method before and learned more in that class than in 4 years of college combined. I guess that method of teaching just matches my method of learning.

'lit

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2005, 12:25:13 PM »
just learned the average yls class has 20 students. that has to change the dynamic some, huh?

dr_draino

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »
EVEN 1L!?!?!?  DAMN!!!

just learned the average yls class has 20 students. that has to change the dynamic some, huh?

maricutie

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2005, 12:52:04 PM »

Whoa ... where did you hear that? Any info on sls?

'lit

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2005, 01:10:03 PM »
... where did you hear that? Any info on sls?

i read it in my binder this weekend. sounds *tiny* to me-- i guess you don't need to socratic method/huge 1l class to scare you into doing reading

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »
1) be aware that the default at most schools is to prohibit recording of lectures. that is, if a prof says it's okay, you can, but otherwise, you cannot under any circumstances.

2) class varies wildly. my torts class is 85% lecture. the only thing the prof ever calls on people for is the facts of the case. she gives us everything else. missing that class would suck. contracts, on the other hand, is true socratic. the professor never makes declarative sentences under any circumstances, and doesn't lecture about anything, other than his funny legal war stories. he turns everything back as questions. can be fun if you're into it, or boring as hell when someone is stuck on an obvious point for ten minutes... you could probably miss that a lot and be okay, but i still show up every day.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2005, 01:42:52 AM »

omg, that's great!!  i LOVE tiny classes, and i'd guess that you do/would too.