Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for Inspiration  (Read 1181 times)

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
Looking for Inspiration
« on: January 12, 2005, 11:53:23 AM »
Would someone who's written what they feel is an excellent PS mind sending it to me.  I need some inspiration.

Update: alibami_z has the BEST advice for this request, which I've seen posted around LSD many times.  Jump down and read that response.  Ignore all the cräp (especially from Julie Fern) in between here and there.

pointdexterish

• Sr. Citizen
  • 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
Re: Looking for Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:12:49 PM »
If you are having an issue coming up with a few pages of meaningful content about yourself, your desires to attend law school and why you would make an excellent contribution to the schools you are applying to.. I would rethink applying in the first place.

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:29:21 PM »
Actually, I am not having trouble.  I was trying to write several so that I could pick the best, and I was looking for inspiration for my next one.  Curious as to how other people approach the essay.  Is it in a narrative form?  Is it VERY formal?  Do they use contractions?  Whatever.  I don't give a fück anymore.  If I have to make 500 stupid posts all day every day before anyone takes me seriously you can all go scréw yourselves.  Sorry, I have a JOB.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  Clearly not, if you have the time to make 247 posts since Oct 24.

pointdexterish

• Sr. Citizen
  • 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 07:41:33 PM »
You're right.  Sorry.  Posting three times a day on average logically leads to the conclusion that I don't have a job.  Furthermore, when I wrote my PS, I wasn't working 12 hourdays and taking an extra 15 hours a week of LSAT prep.  I mean with no job I can spend an average of eight hours per post thinking up witty ideas for my next one.

ndbisme

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:46:26 PM »
There are a couple of books out there with PSs, I think Barron's has one.

wrmusgro

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:47:32 PM »
I've sent you a sample personal statement. Use your power for good.....beware of the dark side.

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 08:23:13 PM »
Thanks, wrmusgro & Judah... sorry to dexter for venting... I was under the mistaken impression that most people on the board were like me and wanted to help each other out so we can all beat the system and get into the schools of our choice.  I guess the random, pointless negativity threw me off my guard.  I'm gonna have to work on the temperament if I want to be an effective lawyer. 

Uh oh... looks like I'm up to three posts today.  Now I'm a hypocrite too.   ;D

ndbisme

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 08:30:21 PM »
Here's the book I read:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764120301/qid=1105579751/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-5832757-1380929?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I really didn't like any of them so it was pretty much a guide of what not to do for me.  I think I can write a PS 100 times better than the stuff I saw in that book (I got an earler edition).

wrmusgro

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 09:21:27 PM »
Thanks, wrmusgro & Judah... sorry to dexter for venting... I was under the mistaken impression that most people on the board were like me and wanted to help each other out so we can all beat the system and get into the schools of our choice.  I guess the random, pointless negativity threw me off my guard.  I'm gonna have to work on the temperament if I want to be an effective lawyer. 

Uh oh... looks like I'm up to three posts today.  Now I'm a hypocrite too.   ;D

No problem, but there are some a$$'s out there. Poindexter is not one. He is one of the people trying to help. He's actually put a lot of work into a website for potential law students. Check it out. The thing about this board is that a lot of people are blunt. You've got to learn to take some criticism, a lot of time no offense is meant. But then again there are others on this board....who are just like I said earlier...a$$'s. But anyhoo....goodluck! ;)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 10:16:20 PM »
Actually, I am not having trouble. I was trying to write several so that I could pick the best, and I was looking for inspiration for my next one. Curious as to how other people approach the essay. Is it in a narrative form? Is it VERY formal? Do they use contractions? Whatever. I don't give a fück anymore. If I have to make 500 stupid posts all day every day before anyone takes me seriously you can all go scréw yourselves. Sorry, I have a JOB. Perhaps you've heard of it? Clearly not, if you have the time to make 247 posts since Oct 24.

get over self.