Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hello Sunny Miami  (Read 4492 times)

dsmit56

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Sunny Miami
« on: January 12, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »
I got the letter this morning, it was the first acceptance for me so that's a 500 pound gorilla off my back. Maybe now I can get some work done. I feel like a traitor going from Virginia Tech to Miami, oh well...LETS GO CANES!!!!!

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gummibearz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello Sunny Miami
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:19:39 PM »
Congrats!!  I'm a UM alumni (undergrad)  and I have a few friends who just graduated from the law school who loved it.  Good Luck!
Attending:  Tulane, Class of 2008!

holdingmybreath

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:01:03 PM »
Did you guys get a complete notice from Miami before you got the decision?  Thanks.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
I got my complete notice with my acceptance letter, believe it not.

You'd think they wouldn't have to tell me it was complete if I was admitted, but...

holdingmybreath

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:07:50 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks.  They seem to be pretty quick with decisions...

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »
Yes, they're very quick with decisions.  But in visiting the law school I have to say that the admissions office just seems to be really on the ball about everything.  They really have their sh*t together.  I think they are used to having to work hard for applicants because of their competition from FSU and Florida for in-state applicants.  Over 70% of the law students are from out of state.  In any case, they really went out of their way for me when I visited. 

And even though I know that the admissions office doesn't necessarily represent the law school as a whole, I think it can be indicative of a culture within the school.  When you visit a school and see an admissions office that is runs so well, and you don't see any other red flags (in interactions with students, professors, sitting in on classes, etc) you can get a sense of the culture of the school and the adminstration.
And the administration does matter.  It matters when you're looking for a job (career services), when you're an alumnus (keeping the repututation strong), and it matters when you have to deal constantly with the administration as a student.

I have been to schools where I was less than impressed by the admissions office (e.g. Case Western) and schools where I just got the sense that they didn't quite have their sh*t together.  Neither wants me to be a student at those schools.

If I don't end up going to Miami it will only be after a hard decision. It's a big understatement to say the school impressed me (and it doesn't hurt that they probably have the most beautiful campus I've ever seen).

dsmit56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 02:47:18 PM »
Actually I never received a completion notice, in fact as of 12/20 my application was incomplete. LSDAS was taking their sweet ass time sending out my report. I did receive financial aid info about a week ago.

ssd2612

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
Congratulations to you! Would you mind sharing your numbers and when you submitted your application?  Miami is my first choice and this information would be helpful for me.

Thanks and good luck.

dsmit56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 03:39:29 PM »
Thanks

3.51 GPA 157 LSATS... 1 year of WS at ESPN Radio

ssd2612

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 03:45:53 PM »
How long did the process take from application submission until acceptance?