Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How do you feel, having completed the first semester?

I am pumped!  Contracts is my female dog!  I am pumped for this semester!
 17 (14.8%)
It has been a generally positive experience; I learned a lot.
 29 (25.2%)
I sent out my application to B-school last week.  Any more questions?
 16 (13.9%)
It has been an experience filled with both positive and negative impressions and experiences.
 26 (22.6%)
I must learn to sacrifice myself for the better good of mankind.
 27 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: 1L's - Talk about your first semester, your experiences and impressions!  (Read 38419 times)

dashes out

• View Profile
wtf? perhaps you *can* outperform, but as a matter of fact, you *didn't* on the exams you've already taken.

law school exams are graded blind. what does race have to do with it?

A professor of mine told us from the very first day that we're not supposed to go after the exam to complain to him about grades or tell him law school grading is subjective -- of course, he said, it is subjective! If you want objectivity, go to engineering, he boldly (and stupidly) told us!

breckenridge

• View Profile
jale, your hypo is very interesting, so I'd like to hear from anyone why it does not actually happen? :)

How do you know it's not actually happening?
Ignorance of the law excuses no man ... from practicing it.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I can't look through 6 pages to find out. 

One of my friends that is a 3rd year said he pretty much always studied from 8-5 everyday, like a full time job, and that was enough to be totally prepared and do well in LS.  Thoughts?

I'm also concerned about having enough time for things like relaxing and exercising.  I turn into a total a-hole if I don't exercise regularly and keep myself both mentally and physically fit.  Will I have time for that?  Or am I living in fantasy land? 

Thanks!

I have heard this before - about treating law school like a 8-5 job. The people I have talked to have said that it can be done for the most part - except in the weeks leading up to finals.  They did, however, say that like a real job there will be times when you need to work/study late and study on weekends. 

Also, when I went to my school's admitted students day, all of the students talked about the importance of maintaing some sort of life outside of law school.  They talked about taking time out to exercise and eat healthy...and about taking out a little time each week to do the things you enjoy - whether it is spending time with a spouse or playing with your dogs or whatever.  I remember one girl saying that she spent one hour every day doing something that she enjoyed...and that hour was something she looked forward to every day and helped her to keep her sanity.  Another girl (who had a husband that lived in another city) said that she devoted one entire day (Saturday or Sunday) every week and just spent time with him...and did not do any law school work.

Now if you are used to working out 2 hours a day, twice a day and must get to the gym every single day or you freak out (I know people like this!)...well that is a different story.  You probably will have a hard time making that work!  But I would think that it would be perfectly reasonable to devote 30 minutes to an hour a couple times a week to working out.  My plan is to get up in the early morning and go for a jog.  That way I have it out of the way for the rest of the day but am still able to get some exercise.  During the summer time I have to get up and run before the sun comes up anyway (because I live in South Texas and it is to hot to run outside after about 8 am) so I figure that this will not be much of an adjustment.

I think there are some other threads on this same thing if you are interested!
Attending: Texas

Stegs

• Motivation
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stegs007
    • View Profile
Bump - Just saving this post.  Thanks for the advice!

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In response to Eliza's post, I intent to attempt to treat law school like a full-time+ job and see how that goes. I live with my BF and have been out of school for awhile, so I'm used to a regular work schedule and need some time in the evening for my BF. I hope to stay on campus all day and leave in the evenings (6 or 7) and not have to study most nights at home. Of course there will be times when I will need to, but I'm hoping this schedule will work for me. I have friends that have managed to make it work, you just need to be very focused during the day.

carpenoctem

• View Profile
jale, your hypo is very interesting, so I'd like to hear from anyone why it does not actually happen? :)

How do you know it's not actually happening?

*Coughs*
I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance.

Fabyahluss

I agree that it is extremely important to take time out each day to do something you enjoy while in law school. When I was in UG, working out each day was what I did to relieve tension, stress, and worries. I believe that such an outlet would be of even more vital importance once one is in a situation that is as mentally and physically draining as law school.

Also, when I went to my school's admitted students day, all of the students talked about the importance of maintaing some sort of life outside of law school.  They talked about taking time out to exercise and eat healthy...and about taking out a little time each week to do the things you enjoy - whether it is spending time with a spouse or playing with your dogs or whatever.  I remember one girl saying that she spent one hour every day doing something that she enjoyed...and that hour was something she looked forward to every day and helped her to keep her sanity.  Another girl (who had a husband that lived in another city) said that she devoted one entire day (Saturday or Sunday) every week and just spent time with him...and did not do any law school work.

Now if you are used to working out 2 hours a day, twice a day and must get to the gym every single day or you freak out (I know people like this!)...well that is a different story.  You probably will have a hard time making that work!  But I would think that it would be perfectly reasonable to devote 30 minutes to an hour a couple times a week to working out.  My plan is to get up in the early morning and go for a jog.  That way I have it out of the way for the rest of the day but am still able to get some exercise.  During the summer time I have to get up and run before the sun comes up anyway (because I live in South Texas and it is to hot to run outside after about 8 am) so I figure that this will not be much of an adjustment.

I think there are some other threads on this same thing if you are interested!

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In response to Eliza's post, I intent to attempt to treat law school like a full-time+ job and see how that goes. I live with my BF and have been out of school for awhile, so I'm used to a regular work schedule and need some time in the evening for my BF. I hope to stay on campus all day and leave in the evenings (6 or 7) and not have to study most nights at home. Of course there will be times when I will need to, but I'm hoping this schedule will work for me. I have friends that have managed to make it work, you just need to be very focused during the day.

I'm in a similar situation and I intend to do the same thing as you.  I got my class schedule yesterday and it looks like I will be able to get a lot done between 8-7 and then I can have time for my SO in the evening.  It will be more work than I am currently used to (since I sit at my desk doing mindless work all day), but I dont have to change my schedule up much at all.

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You already got your schedule? That's awesome - I would love to see mine and start planning out my days, but was told it probably won't come until the end of July.

It's definitely going to be more work than I do now considering my job is not really demanding at all and I work a very regular 8:30-5:30 schedule. I expect to work more like 10-12 hours a day including class time and gym/lunch breaks and hope that will be sufficient on most days. I also expect to do some studying on Sundays, but hopefully I can take Friday evening through Saturday off.

caress

• View Profile

Supposedly because students do not have the mental force to actually go for it, they're weak and conscientious!
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal