Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How do you feel, having completed the first semester?

I am pumped!  Contracts is my female dog!  I am pumped for this semester!
 17 (14.8%)
It has been a generally positive experience; I learned a lot.
 29 (25.2%)
I sent out my application to B-school last week.  Any more questions?
 16 (13.9%)
It has been an experience filled with both positive and negative impressions and experiences.
 26 (22.6%)
I must learn to sacrifice myself for the better good of mankind.
 27 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: 1L's - Talk about your first semester, your experiences and impressions!  (Read 38852 times)

justification

• View Profile
Re: 1L's - Talk about your first semester, your experiences and impressions!
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2005, 07:33:56 PM »
eva
Grading in law school is completely arbitrary. When they try to objectify it a little bit (multiple choice exams) you are twice as much screwed .. go figure .. I guess it's the forced curve that makes things so bad ...

Ah...the 'B' student's lament!

It's not some kind of thing that a "B" student would naturally say ... why? Can you imagine law school teachers giving As to a black woman, like me, for instance? Well, I'm telling you, I can outperform probably each and every one of the 30% of the students ranked above me, yet I am not officially being recognized for who I really am!

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2005, 07:39:46 PM »
wtf? perhaps you *can* outperform, but as a matter of fact, you *didn't* on the exams you've already taken.

law school exams are graded blind. what does race have to do with it?

Sweeny

• ...and the cartoon menace was no more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2005, 08:15:52 PM »
tag
In: Georgetown, Penn ($$$$), Michigan ($$$), Cornell ($$$$$), Minnesota($$$)

the REAL desi

« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2005, 09:35:04 PM »
eva
Grading in law school is completely arbitrary. When they try to objectify it a little bit (multiple choice exams) you are twice as much screwed .. go figure .. I guess it's the forced curve that makes things so bad ...

Ah...the 'B' student's lament!

It's not some kind of thing that a "B" student would naturally say ... why? Can you imagine law school teachers giving As to a black woman, like me, for instance? Well, I'm telling you, I can outperform probably each and every one of the 30% of the students ranked above me, yet I am not officially being recognized for who I really am!

i have no idea why you inserted my moniker above the quote.  if you notice, i laughed at the post by 1Hell. 

wow, i must have gotten a B in torts for being brown

KristyB

« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2005, 09:46:38 PM »
Maybe someone already mentioned this, so I'm sorry for repeating it they did, but has anyone used LEEWs here, or any other essay exam writing system?  How did it work?  Were you diligent about it?  On average, how many hours did you study a week and then what were your grades? 

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2005, 11:49:59 PM »
I've heard a lot of people reccomending commerical class outlines.  Are they really worth it?  And where do you get them? Cost?
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

the REAL desi

« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2005, 12:09:32 AM »
Maybe someone already mentioned this, so I'm sorry for repeating it they did, but has anyone used LEEWs here, or any other essay exam writing system?  How did it work?  Were you diligent about it?  On average, how many hours did you study a week and then what were your grades? 

used LEEWS - helped me out, amd i'm ranked competitively

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2005, 09:08:56 AM »
I've heard a lot of people reccomending commerical class outlines.  Are they really worth it?  And where do you get them? Cost?

I'd get CO's for every class (personally, I like Gilbert), and get the E&E's for every class except Property (and maybe K's). You will *need* the Civ Pro E&E, and I highly recommend the E&E for torts as well (both are written by Glannon). I also highly recommend the E&E's for Con Law (there are two of them).

Yes, they are worth it. Think about it - you will spend an exorbitant amount of $$ on tuition...not spending a couple hundred bucks (if that) on products that will help increase your grades is silly...that's being penny-wise and pound foolish.

And trust me - your school bookstore will be *packed* with them. They are a major money maker for the schools. But you can get them from 2L's or on the net.

be10dwn

« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2005, 09:17:43 AM »
(just posting here so it'll be in my unread replies.  great idea, ruskie!)

yea, that's essentially what i was doing by posting the (somewhat unnecessary) comment above.
ditto

thisis1984

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2005, 09:46:20 AM »
A lot of these 1L comments seem to be coming from people who were uninterested and disengaged in UG.  The "socratic method" sounds just like what good students/profs did in ug classes -- ask students hypothetical questions, situations, and probing questions and get a thoughtful response.  Anyone who isn't used to such exchanges wasn't awake in college.