Law School Discussion

Poll

How do you feel, having completed the first semester?

I am pumped!  Contracts is my female dog!  I am pumped for this semester!
17 (14.8%)
It has been a generally positive experience; I learned a lot.
29 (25.2%)
I sent out my application to B-school last week.  Any more questions?
16 (13.9%)
It has been an experience filled with both positive and negative impressions and experiences.
26 (22.6%)
I must learn to sacrifice myself for the better good of mankind.
27 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 93

1L's - Talk about your first semester, your experiences and impressions!

Re: 1L's - Talk about your first semester, your experiences and impressions!
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2005, 12:32:13 AM »
bizzity bizump. (bump)

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »
I'm a 2L now, but I'll share my thoughts about my first semester last year.

Law school was both harder and easier than I thought it would be. Each individial concept was fairly easy, but putting things into a coherent "big picture" was very difficult at first. The other thing that was hard was the workload-- there is a lot of reading, a lot of prep work, a lot of writing and it's all important. You can't skim anything. Getting behind in any class is suicide. And LRW was like having a full time job on top of the other courses.

As far as grading being arbitrary, I would argue that it's true to a certain extent, but mostly due to the strict grading curve. The difference between my A- in Criminal Law and my study partner's B- was really inconsequential, as far as actual grasp of the subject matter goes. And that was the hardest part of all-- learning that effort is not necessarily tied to success (Hello, Rule Against Perpetuities!).

If I could give one piece of advice, it would be this: no matter what your professors say, GET A COMMERCIAL OUTLINE. It helped me immensely to read the outline for a particular topic before doing my readings for class, especially for the more slippery concepts. I particularly like the "Understanding" series for the concise explanations of policy. When I prepared for exams, I was a fan of using Emmanuel's to organize my own notes and case briefs. It's like having a roadmap to guide your reading. However, I would caution against actually studying the commercial outlines, as you will miss the nuances that earn you a good grade by putting you ahead of the curve.

« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2005, 11:13:01 AM »
First year of law school is boot camp. They try by all means to make you quit. They frustrate you. Professors offend you. They try to make your self-esteem go down. For a reason.

AmanteDolciume

• My new baby!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2005, 03:37:33 PM »
bump :)

towanda03

• And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2005, 04:30:16 PM »
just tagging along... sorry :)

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2005, 06:22:21 PM »
bumping for unreads

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2005, 08:37:02 PM »
bump

Great Thread idea.

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »
Yep you’re assigned your section before you arrive at school. I assume this is the same everywhere…

Did anyone else find the first day at law school like prison or military check in????

Here is how it went for me:

Showed up at 8 AM to check in, herded to the back of the school where I stood in line to have my pic taken, ID made and number assigned..

Told to go to room XXX next; there I gave only my number, not my name, and got assigned a locker

Next to a table where I was given a packet of info and code of conduct form to sign, again all by number

Meanwhile in each line nobody dared talk to each other, we all stood there with big glossy anime eyes like deer in headlights headed for slaughter

From that table I went to the med one where I got a Mumps, Measles and Rubella booster

Then off to the bookstore where there was a huge pile of boxes marked with: 1b, 2c excreta, you got your box that matched your section, gave your number and went back to the forum.

Next we got a 15 minute introduction and welcome from the dean/warden on how lucky we were to be at school X and then 45 minuets of honor code, don’t give legal advice, kicked out of law school horror stories.

We then got divided up by sections and toured the school, and listened to the advice given by the panel of grizzled LS veterans on what it took to succeed and “fit in”.

Next to the Westlaw table where again, based on my number I was given my card and pin and told how much lexis sucked, next it was off to the Lexis table where I was told how much Westlaw sucked ( But Westlaw had better freebees, I got a mug, a water bottle, and a pad of paper, from Lexis all I got was a handful of pens, and before I left I went back and got another handful. Yes I’m cheap…)

Finally I was given a schedule for the next few day’s festivities, a spiral notebook with the schools logo and a 13 cent pen with the schools name on it.

Short of stinky bus ride and getting my head shaved it reminded me a lot of boot camp.

The next day was fine, and things got normal and all the parties and mixers started but that first day left me with a very Orwellian feeling.

Man that does sound like a military check in.  I only want to know how many times you were told to "beat 'yer face".  Front leaning rest position...MOVE. down...up...down....up...down ....hold it....hold it.  Position of attention...move, too slow, back down.....etc etc

« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2005, 07:12:31 AM »
Great thread!

« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2005, 07:36:24 AM »
bump