Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University a Buffalo  (Read 1266 times)

bluetubist

Re: University a Buffalo
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 09:35:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the information.  It's really helpful to someone like me.  I don't mind cities in decline, but sometimes it sucks to head out and about on a Saturday night only to find you're one of 5 people who have chosen to do so, or to sit in your apartment drinking a High Life, thinking "what am I going to do tonight," only to realize that you're either going to one of the two acceptable places in town or you aren't doing anything at all.

I just like options.  It sounds like a place that isn't half-bad, probably, more than anything, I bet it's like a mini Philadelphia -- sort of in decline, but proud residents and some great local food, combined with a desire to erally be in NYC and some sports teams that can't seal the deal.

Lost in all of this is the fact that Buffalo bars are open until 4am!

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 10:58:32 PM »
Wombat,

You currently live in Rochester? Sweet. My wife and I moved from N. Chili last July to take up residence in Japan for a year.

Here's to hoping for an acceptance!

Cheers.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 12:38:24 AM »

Not to mention all the free happy hour buffets ;)  Much harder to find in NYC!
Fed gov't atty

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 07:27:28 AM »

4. International - take the bus or train to Toronto for the weekend New Jersey is not cool because it's near NYC.  Buffalo is not cool because it's near Toronto

WOM REPLY: Toronto is the most culturally diverse city in the world. Seriously, if you think Toronto sucks I think you need to talk to somebody. It sounds like you are depressed. And yes, New Jersey is cool because it is close to NYC. Have you ever been to Hoboken, Jersey City, Jersey Shore, AC? All very cool. All becasue of NYC. Believe.

Since we're playing the lawyer game, I'll correct you.   I wasnt' saying Toronto wasn't cool (The handful of times I got to go up, I really liked it).  I was, as usual, saying Buffalo isn't cool.

And I'll probably just say that you might be in the minority in like Jersey, just like you might be in the minority in liking Buffalo.  There are good aspects of each, but for many, the bad makes the good aspects unlivable.  I like visiting my family and doing the few nice things that I like about Buffalo, but I'd NEVER be able to go back and live my life there. 

I don't need NYC to have fun (I actually would NEVER want to live in NYC.  For me, I'd be almost as unhappy as living in Buffalo, despite what you seem to think).  But a dying, mismanaged, corrupt town isn't for me.  It's been this way for over 10 years now, and no breath of fresh air has yet been scented.

But some do like it, but I'm not one of them.  Someone asked, so I gave my opinion.  We're all free to it, and we'll just have to disagree, right?

You're good peeps, too, Wombat, so don't worry.  I take no conversations about Buffalo personally.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 09:13:48 AM »
Thanks for all of the information.  It's really helpful to someone like me.  I don't mind cities in decline, but sometimes it sucks to head out and about on a Saturday night only to find you're one of 5 people who have chosen to do so, or to sit in your apartment drinking a High Life, thinking "what am I going to do tonight," only to realize that you're either going to one of the two acceptable places in town or you aren't doing anything at all.

I just like options.  It sounds like a place that isn't half-bad, probably, more than anything, I bet it's like a mini Philadelphia -- sort of in decline, but proud residents and some great local food, combined with a desire to erally be in NYC and some sports teams that can't seal the deal.

Dear god, please send me an acceptance letter, now!

Tom

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 09:15:46 AM »
Wombat,

You currently live in Rochester? Sweet. My wife and I moved from N. Chili last July to take up residence in Japan for a year.

Here's to hoping for an acceptance!

Cheers.

It's a small world, I live in Batavia. 
Good luck to both of you.

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 06:36:31 PM »
Ah... Batavia. Home of the Muckdogs. I finished up high school in LeRoy after moving to NY. Small world indeed.

Good luck everybody!

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 02:27:00 AM »
Bump... anyone else?