Law School Discussion

What is a minority that isn't a URM?

bones

What is a minority that isn't a URM?
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
?

Re: What is a minority that isn't a URM?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:31:54 PM »
?

Asians :) BTW, what does this have to do with Acceptances? Haha.

the REAL desi

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »
most asians are not URM.  we're over-represented in higher education, in all professional schools, and in academia (especially my people)

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 02:35:12 PM »
middle easterners.  (asian in a VERY broad sense of the term, i guess.)

dreamer1

• CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 02:46:15 PM »
I hate the whole underepresented overepresented thing. Asians are underrepresented(small part of pop) in the US Pop and that makes them overrepresented in schools?

Infoolio

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:50:39 PM »
I hate the whole underepresented overepresented thing. Asians are underrepresented(small part of pop) in the US Pop and that makes them overrepresented in schools?

Walking on dangerous ground here...........not meant to offend but here goes.

First, Asians are an extremely fast growing part of the population, depending where you live. Have you been to SF before? Caucasians are the minority there...

Second, Asians typically have well educated parents, and do not generally suffer the same socioeconomic disadvantages that other ethnic minorities do. I think if you looked you'd find that Asians typically have a higher percentage of educated heritage than do Caucasians.

I'm not trying to be mean. I know not everyone falls into neat little categories, and that's not what I'm doing here. Being a minority in the US doesn't really mean you're less well off than the baseline (Caucasians) - that's why alot of minorities are not given URM status.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
are pacific islanders URM? (indonesian, filipino, papua new guinea, etc)

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 03:04:17 PM »

asians are a small part of the US pop, and that makes them a minority.  what makes them an OVERrepresented minority is the fact that (making up these numbers to illustrate the point; the exact numbers are wrong, but the relationship between the numbers is the same) 5% of the general population is asian, but 20% of all law school students are asian.

in contrast, 15% of the population is african-american, but only 4% of all LS students are african-american.

that's why representation matters.  it's because the proportion is LS and the proportion in the general population are different.  in a perfect world, you'd probably have diversity match the general population, such that 50% of the general population and the LS student population would be white, 5% of both would be asian, etc.  it'd be a perfect microcosm.  it doesn't work that way in real life, but AA attempts to get closer to that ideal.

the REAL desi

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 03:10:05 PM »
i've had a priveleged childhood (like most indian children).
i've had access to education (like most indian children).
my parents are both very well educated (like 90% of the indian population in this country).
the average indian household income is greater than $70k (higher than caucasians)
my parents would have beat my a$$ if I didn't do well in school.
every indian student i went to high school with is in 1) med school; 2) law school; 3) pharmacy school; 4) B school; 5) is an engineer
my community is definitely not under-represented in academia or higher education.
my community is definitely not socioeconomically disadvantaged.

though URM classification is inherently against a meritocracy system (and I have mixed feelings about it), I definitely do not need to be classified as a URM and it would be wrong to classify me as a URM.

so Indians are not URM.  i would suspect that most Asians are not URM.  maybe the hmongs (throwback to Dsong/Cho days).

WoeIsMe

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 03:10:29 PM »
why should the number in LS matter?  if the goal is to improve representation in the legal community, shouldn't it be the percentage of all practicing lawyers?