Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: would you write an addendum for...???  (Read 239 times)

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
would you write an addendum for...???
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »
i posted a question about this a couple of months ago, but got no response, so i'm trying again.  i went to undergrad at a university that gave you the option of selecting letter grades or a pass/no pass option in all of your classes.  if you wanted to have a gpa, you had to take at lease 2/3 of your classes for letter grades, which i did.  lsac does not factor any of the classes i took for the pass/no pass option in my gpa, nor do they include those classes when they list my cumulative semester hours.  so, it looks like i took a lot fewer classes than most people normally would to obtain a degree.  also, many of these classes were upper division.  should i write an addendum explaining the grading policies at my undergrad, or do you think law schools are already aware?  lsac has enough data from my school to show the percentage distribution of lsat and gpa, so obviously folks that went there have applied to law schools before.  any advice is greatly appreciated!

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: would you write an addendum for...???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:33:59 PM »
I would ask someone in admissions at one of the schools you are applying too.  Approach it exactly as you have on this board--ask (anonymously if possible) if you think the adcomm would need more information on your school's grading policy.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: would you write an addendum for...???
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 04:57:48 PM »
I would ask someone in admissions at one of the schools you are applying too.  Approach it exactly as you have on this board--ask (anonymously if possible) if you think the adcomm would need more information on your school's grading policy.

mfitz-
i took your advice and called the admissions office at cornell.  i thought i would post the response in case anyone else was wondering...they said it should not be viewed negatively at all.  if i want, i could write an addendum, but it is by no means necessary.  the woman was actually really nice about it, put my mind at ease a little bit.