Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UGA, GW pt, GMU pt, Emory, Tulane  (Read 3200 times)

eileen2004

Re: UGA, GW pt, GMU pt, Emory, Tulane
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 11:19:16 AM »

Good point on the huge difference in tuition between GW and GMU.  That's a pretty significant factor. 

Dano

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 11:25:02 AM »
Isn't it difficult to get summer firm positions as a part-timer?  Going part-time at GW while denying a FT position at Emory seems like a bad move to me.  Emory does quite well placing in the Northeast, DC, and NC areas.  I attended Emory undergrad and most of my peers were from DC, NY, and FL and had mucho dinero (as a poor GA native I was in the minority :;).  Many of the FL kids even had older parents that had either retired to FL from NY or where snowbirds.

BTW, the neighborhood around Emory and the campus are beautiful, plus you are only minutes from Virginia Highlands / Little Five Points (many bars and parties).

dr_draino

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 11:32:43 AM »
Don't you think four years of full-time work experience will beat a summer internship hands down any day of the week?  My plan would be two years at USPTO and then two years at a firm if I wind up at GMU part-time.

Isn't it difficult to get summer firm positions as a part-timer?  Going part-time at GW while denying a FT position at Emory seems like a bad move to me.  Emory does quite well placing in the Northeast, DC, and NC areas.  I attended Emory undergrad and most of my peers were from DC, NY, and FL and had mucho dinero (as a poor GA native I was in the minority :;).  Many of the FL kids even had older parents that had either retired to FL from NY or where snowbirds.

BTW, the neighborhood around Emory and the campus are beautiful, plus you are only minutes from Virginia Highlands / Little Five Points (many bars and parties).

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 11:34:16 AM »
From talking with the folks there, finding summer work is the same for either full or part time, you need to be doing well, and certain fields are easier than others.  For people like me, I already work in law related fields, so summer full time may be the same job.  In fact, I have already received verbal offers for work if I decide to leave my current position.

I think the story that finding work is tougher for part-timers is fiction dreamed up by full timers.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

WoeIsMe

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 11:35:57 AM »
I was concerned with Mason's national reputation?  Do you think there's any problems if you want to move to say.. NYC, Boston, San fran, or San Diego?  I heard great things about Mason, but don't know how long I want to stay in the DC area.

This thread is great... I've been neurotic the last few months thinking I had to get into Georgetown.. George Washington sounds just as reasonable.

dr_draino

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 11:41:08 AM »
I think that would depend on whether you're talking about transferring out of DC after working there for a few years or leaving DC right out of law school.  I think GW has a more national OCI, but I'd think if you had a couple years experience, both should transfer to a new area somewhat equally.

I'm making all of this up, btw

I was concerned with Mason's national reputation?  Do you think there's any problems if you want to move to say.. NYC, Boston, San fran, or San Diego?  I heard great things about Mason, but don't know how long I want to stay in the DC area.

This thread is great... I've been neurotic the last few months thinking I had to get into Georgetown.. George Washington sounds just as reasonable.

eileen2004

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 11:43:47 AM »
From talking with the folks there, finding summer work is the same for either full or part time, you need to be doing well, and certain fields are easier than others.  For people like me, I already work in law related fields, so summer full time may be the same job.  In fact, I have already received verbal offers for work if I decide to leave my current position.

I think the story that finding work is tougher for part-timers is fiction dreamed up by full timers.

I think the issues with summer work as a PT student are that you are taking classes during the summer (in the evening, but potentially disruptive) and that generally PT students already have jobs which prevent them from taking on other positions for the summer.  I don't think it's an issue of not being able to get the summer positions so much as not being able to take the summer positions. 

dr_draino

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 11:47:12 AM »
It's a completely different paradigm, I would think.  I wouldn't start a PT program unless I was confident that I could find work at a firm year round.

I think the issues with summer work as a PT student are that you are taking classes during the summer (in the evening, but potentially disruptive) and that generally PT students already have jobs which prevent them from taking on other positions for the summer.  I don't think it's an issue of not being able to get the summer positions so much as not being able to take the summer positions. 

eileen2004

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 11:52:13 AM »
It's a completely different paradigm, I would think.  I wouldn't start a PT program unless I was confident that I could find work at a firm year round.

I guess it depends on the situation.  Personally, I don't work for a law firm and I have no qualms about enrolling in a PT program.  I think I can probably find some law-related experience here if I seek it out and graduating without debt will serve me better than being able to spend the my second summer working for a law firm. 

dr_draino

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 11:55:57 AM »
Yeah, the other advantage of PT is there's not this paranoya of finding employment the day of graduation since you've already got a reasonably well-paying gig to keep you afloat till the firm offer comes in after bar results are back. 

I guess it depends on the situation.  Personally, I don't work for a law firm and I have no qualms about enrolling in a PT program.  I think I can probably find some law-related experience here if I seek it out and graduating without debt will serve me better than being able to spend the my second summer working for a law firm.