Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kerry: We may yet find WMDs  (Read 3278 times)

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhillipBach79
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Phillip_Bach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kerry: We may yet find WMDs
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:37:38 AM »
http://www.theweeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/023bxpts.asp

I thought this was interesting.  On Hardball, Kerry suggests the possibility that WMDs may still be found in Iraq.  He's apparently trying to cover himself in the event of "bad news" that the world community's intelligence was correct.     

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: Kerry: We may yet find WMDs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 09:44:09 AM »
Kerry seems to be good at playing both sides of the ball. Did anuyone see his interview on "Meet the Press"? Wow... This guy is imploding fast.

/Cue nathaniel retort
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 09:56:33 AM »
I think that our choices for POTUS this year are pretty disappointing. There is a lack of substance and originality to what they both say. Plus, we have one that is an extreme, and one that spends too much time walking the "appease everyone" fine-line.

Thomas Friedman wrote a great article last month. Here's a little bit of what he had to say:

"Imagination is on my mind a lot these days, because it seems to me that the only people with imagination in the world right now are the bad guys. [...] I am so hungry for a positive surprise. I am so hungry to hear a politician, a statesman, a business leader surprise me in a good way. [...] I so hunger to wake up and be surprised with some really good news -- by someone who totally steps out of himself or herself, imagines something different and thrusts out a hand."

I do think that Kerry's choice in VP will make or break his chances if he uses a little bit of imagination.
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 10:00:49 AM »
DaBoo, I think Friedman is spot on as usual. I want to be captured by the personality and descisions of my national leader as much as the next guy. The problem with this, is that it can be political suicide. It is very difficult to please everyone all the time, and it seems that most politicians are unwilling to please some of the people all or most of the time. Instead, they settle for pleasing most of the people little of time and keeping everyone in that gray area where apathy and mediocrity are born.  :(

One last note - you've got THE best tag line of anyone on here. If you are a law school applicant and can't recite that entire scene - shame on you!
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 10:02:35 AM »
Daboo,

Interesting.  i don't think i've heard this before, but I think you are probably right.

who do you think could help him pull it out?  I had thought originally that someone from the midwest who could bring ohio and MS like maybe gephardt would be able to pull it off for him. 

but maybe a more nationally appealing figure like Edwards or even Wesley Clark could do the trick.

i just wonder if kerry would stand to let one of those two be his VP as they could potentially overshadow him.  both are more charismatic, better speakers, etc. 

I actually wanted to see clark get the nomination and think he would have matched up well with bush.  he showed himself to be a political novice though with too many misteps with his comments.  he might have still pulled it off if dean had won Iowa.  i still think clark was the cream of all the dem candidates.  Edwards definitely has what it takes though.

what do you think?  Who will be the vp candidate?

I do think that Kerry's choice in VP will make or break his chances if he uses a little bit of imagination.

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 10:06:08 AM »
Kerry seems to be good at playing both sides of the ball. Did anuyone see his interview on "Meet the Press"? Wow... This guy is imploding fast.

I agree.  As a loyal Republican, I can't say I'm that sad about it, but the Democrats made a terrible decision in nominating Kerry.  He's probably a better choice than Dean, but that's not saying much.  John Edwards would've been an infinitely better candidate.  Personally, I liked Leiberman best on the issues, but he's not young or charismatic enough to be president (and anti-semitism may be a factor). 

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 10:06:48 AM »
I had thought originally that someone from the midwest who could bring ohio and MS like maybe gephardt would be able to pull it off for him. 

but maybe a more nationally appealing figure like Edwards or even Wesley Clark could do the trick.

The Kerry campaign "leaked" information that Gephardt and Edwards were being "felt out" for the VP spot along with a handful of others that could not be divulged. Usually this means that the guys would got mentioned are no longed contenders. I don't think that male private part would help Kerry get elected. It would be the most boring dem ticket in well... 4 years. Edwards may help, but I think you might see Hillary jump - she has to remain a strong contender for 2008. If Kerry were to win, she MUST be the VP or risk fading into the shadows.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 10:20:45 AM »
I think you might see Hillary jump - she has to remain a strong contender for 2008. If Kerry were to win, she MUST be the VP or risk fading into the shadows.

There's a couple reasons why I don't think Hillary Clinton will be the VP nominee:

1.  Kerry will lose (I admit I'm biased against him, but this is my honest assessment), and Clinton doesn't want to be associated with a sinking ship.

2.  Clinton will overshadow Kerry, and the race will be about her, for better or worse

3.  She's a polarizing figure, and nothing will help Bush raise money or turn out Republican voters more than the prospect of Hillary Clinton being a heartbeat away from the presidency

It's also interesting to note that Clinton and Kerry apparently disagree on the biggest issue in the campaign - the war in Iraq.  Clinton has been quietly supportive, for the most part, of the Iraqi war.  Kerry is apparently opposed to it, although it depends on what day you ask him, or which quotes you want to emphasize. 

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 10:44:28 AM »
Phillip - you bring up some good points, but if you see Kerry rising in the polls even a little bit - to the point where he may win on a fluke, you will see Hillary get the VP nod. She can't slip into obscurity and risk waiting until 2012.

Oh no, I'm starting to talk like male private part Morris. Every time that guy starts with his Clinton scenarios and schemes, my head starts to spin.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:47:47 AM »
You may be right.  Cover yourself.  That's what politicians do.  I want a non-politician in the White House.