Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Spouses and Law School  (Read 6334 times)

Hawgjuan

Re: Spouses and Law School
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2005, 11:29:58 AM »
How many of you (especially those with families) are going to the best school you get into and how many of you are going where it's financially reasonable?

BigTex

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2005, 11:39:23 AM »
How many of you (especially those with families) are going to the best school you get into and how many of you are going where it's financially reasonable?

if it weren't financially reasonable i'd definitely stay in town and go to a local school. Don't want to put the family in massive debt on just my account.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:51 AM »

If I was thinking financially reasonable I wouldn't be going to law school.  If I put a price on my time - even a low number like $35 to $40 per hour - the payback is nearly 7 years (assuming I clear $125K/yr as an associate) and this is at a local school where total cost is only going to run me about $45K.  The decision was made a long time ago that if I was going to move for law school, it would be after the divorce!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »
Wow - great thread!

My SO is an art teacher who is currently not working as one b/c of budget cuts.  He is in a job he doesn't like and we are desperately hoping he finds a teaching job when we move for me to go to law school.  If he doesn't, it will make life even harder for us.

He has been incredibly supportive (before we even moved in together, he told me he would follow me wherever I went - except for Utah), but I worry about what's going to happen when things get really stressful.  He is a very low key, mellow artist type and I am a high key, energetic, almost hyper person.  It has worked well so far, but it bugs me that he doesn't want to discuss the odds of me getting into this school vs. that one, etc. 

Tea's post was great and I am going to show him this thread so he can see that he won't be alone.  As a matter of fact, as soon as I get accepted and make a final decision on a school, I am going to contact the school and start a group for the spouses. 

Good luck to all of you!

seu2002

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »
great thread.  i'm stressing LS-- the $, the move, the time.  my SO and i have not decided whether he's coming with me or not.  we live in austin right now, and i will probably be moving to the northeast in a few months.  we can't make definite plans because he's currently working in europe, and he won't be home for another month.  until then, i get to stress by myself.  this is frustrating and sad.  i don't want him to leave his job bc he has no UG degree, but he's still making mad money.  there's infinite potential for him to move up within this company, one of the biggest computer comapnies in the nation.  if he leaves his job, he'll be starting from the bottom-- retail, bartending, etc.  i don't want that, thus the huge dilemma. 

anyway, this was mainly a bump for my unreads.  i find great comfort in the posts so far, and i know i'll want to read them again.  just throwing in my situation.  this is the best thread i've read on the LSD.

bradzwest

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2005, 06:22:11 PM »
My fiancee is going to relocate with me...our problem, scholarship money is far away from her family.  So our situation is this...we take a scholarship she doesn't have to work, or live close to parents/family and she must work full time.  Time will tell!