Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school or keep my job?  (Read 1119 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Law school or keep my job?
« on: April 28, 2004, 11:30:12 PM »
First off, I want to go to law school. I don't like my job a lot but my boss has just given me an offer that is very hard to refuse. He has offered me a SIGNIFICANT amount of money that would make it worth my while if I wanted to stay until the end of the year.

My question is this... If you were (or are) 25 and were making a very good amount of money (about as much as many first year private practice lawyers make) for that age, and staving off law school for only one year would practically pay off LS in the future, would you wait?

I'm having a tough time here but I think that I just may do that and reapply next year. I would probably take the LSAT again too and try to increase my dismal score. Let me know what you think.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

forthguy

Re: Law school or keep my job?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 11:59:04 PM »
My question is this... If you were (or are) 25 and were making a very good amount of money (about as much as many first year private practice lawyers make) for that age, and staving off law school for only one year would practically pay off LS in the future, would you wait?

If hanging out a year would pay for my law school, I'd hang out a year.  Of course, I don't hate my job.  And I'm not leaving my job for law school, in large part because my employer may pay for the bulk of my law school.

Plus, I don't want an insane amount of education debt when I'm finished, and I believe too many people are all too willing to rack it up.  So, if you can make the money to pay for it in one year, I'd stay.  Among other things, you don't even know for sure you want to be a lawyer yet, and having the money for school allows you to make a reasoned decision once you know what lawyering will actually mean.

Greg

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 12:26:11 AM »
Thanks for the intelligent opinion. I really do want to be a lawyer and my dream is to go to law school as soon as possible, but waiting is looking attractive. I worried that some schools may look down on me if I reapply next year.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

forthguy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 12:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the intelligent opinion. I really do want to be a lawyer and my dream is to go to law school as soon as possible, but waiting is looking attractive. I worried that some schools may look down on me if I reapply next year.

I didn't mean to suggest you won't want to be a lawyer.  I just hear of a fair number of stories of people who find they no longer want to once they're in law school.  Those sinking huge sums of money into school have little they can do at that point (or feel as such.)  So, if you were to take the extra year, and if you save up enough to pay for school, if for some reason you found you didn't like it after you've gotten a good taste of it, leaving law school wouldn't be so hard.

Law schools understand they're expensive.  I would imagine if you write a friendly withdrawal letter (because no doubt they'll keep the files around for a while) explaining that you've got to delay so you can earn more money to comfortably attend, and if you attach an addendum (which all the applications I saw required if you'd previously applied) that explains why you're re-applying, it will be well understood.  You could probably even figure out a way to mention how you were begged to stay on because of what you bring to the table, and this presented you with an overwhelming fiscal opportunity.

If you also manage to bump up your LSAT in the intervening period, so much the better.

Greg

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 08:51:25 AM »
Thanks again. I didn't even think of sending a withdrawal letter with an explanation. I've decided to do it unless I get accepted (still pending) to my #1 choice.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 09:31:39 AM »
I'm considering the same thing, not because I'm making good money but because I have a ridiculous amount of credit card and car debt I'd like to square away. Not to mention I applied late at Suffolk and if I applied early for next year they'd probably give me a decent scholarship. On the other hand, I don't wanna go through the whole acceptance/rejection stress AGAIN. But if I don't get off the wait list at BYU, I'd be going to a 4th tier for full price and that does not sound good either.

Any advice? It would be much appreciated...

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:47:46 AM »
If your choice is to wait or go to a T4 at full price, I would wait. Especially with your numbers. You could possibly take the LSAt again in October and rock it. That's what I plan on doing if I get rejected by my only remaining school.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

jgomez

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 10:04:51 AM »
what about the option of PT and still working full time, then after the first year of PT, quit your job (because now you have the money) and then switch into their FT program?

some schools allow this, to go from PT to FT, as long as you make up some credits during the summer.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 10:09:36 AM »
I didn't apply for PT and besides, I don't think that I would be able to pull it off with my work hours and all. One drawback of my boss offering me a lot of money is that there is not much flexibility to adjust my work hours.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

jgomez

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:23:38 AM »
if I were you, i would try to defer one year at, at least one school.  then you are guaranteed that you will get into something next year.  if you can do this, I would then work 1 year, and save up, then reapply.  and if I couldn't defer, I would go to LS now.

the reason I would be worried is, that since LS is getting more competitive and harder to get into, your stats this year may not be as strong next year.  So even if you took the LSAT over, you may not improve that much, if at all, because like you said, you will be busy with work with the longer hours.  Plus, you brought up a good point as to how the LS will take it as you are applying again to the same school. 

i waited several years, not because of your exact situation, but for personal reasons.  Now I look back, and I wasted those years, I would have been a lawyer in my 20s.  Now I'm 31.  and will probably get out in my mid 30s.  and I regret it big time.