Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does undergrad university matter in acceptance?  (Read 819 times)

RRobs15

• View Profile
How much does undergrad university matter in acceptance?
« on: January 10, 2005, 07:52:40 PM »
Hi. I am wondering if I should interpret school's numbers differently coming from an ivy undergrad?  Would you think that I will have more leverage because of my school, or numbers are numbers? I have a 3.8 and a 159.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
Re: How much does undergrad university matter in acceptance?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:57:45 PM »
Hi. I am wondering if I should interpret school's numbers differently coming from an ivy undergrad?  Would you think that I will have more leverage because of my school, or numbers are numbers? I have a 3.8 and a 159.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,19796.0.html

It has been discussed to death in the above post but honestly no one really knows for sure since there isn't data grids out there diagramming each undergrad.

RRobs15

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:05:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll check that convo out. I'm new around here. Would me applying to harvard be the most rediculous thing you would hear all month? Honestly...

RRobs15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 08:10:49 PM »
anyone have any thoughts?

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 08:11:48 PM »
I havea  thought.
why are you not watching 24?
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

RRobs15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 08:12:51 PM »
haha, i am watching CSI and waiting for the bachelorette to start...we all have our vices, ok?

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »
CSI?  CSI doesn't come on for another half hour here...
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

vickymaz

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 09:31:25 PM »
You may have slight GPA leverage coming from an Ivy, but your GPA is already great. You won't get LSAT leverage at all - it wouldn't make any sense. Unless you're a URM, and even then, I think applying to harvard would be a waste of time for you. It's not all about harvard, though. I'd re-take the LSAT and aim for other top schools, maybe in the next cycle, if that's your goal.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 09:32:26 PM »
you need a higher lsat score. you should seriously consider retaking (after considerable work preparing). everyone else applying from ivy's, regardless of their gpa, has lsat's well into the 160s (or higher). you don't want to be applying with an lsat below the median of your undergrad if at all possible. competitive law schools are flooded with apps from ivy undergrads, and they all have high gpas (brown's median is like 3.6, the rest are (for the most part) above 3.4). but if your lsat isn't competitive with your peers - and yours isn't - getting admitted to the more selective schools will be really difficult. if you can pull that score up to a 165, you'll be a strong candidate for a lot of top 25 schools. right now, not so much.

apply to harvard? how about this: if you have the $70 to throw away, send it to me, and i'll be happy to mail you a rejection letter.

vickymaz

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 09:33:56 PM »
Brown's is 3.5, thank you.  :P