Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: THALKY  (Read 873 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
THALKY
« on: January 10, 2005, 03:04:46 PM »
Have you contacted G-town expressing continued interest yet.. If so, how'd you do it.. and, what kinda response did you receive..

How about lets both get off the priority list at dat biaatch..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Re: THALKY
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 03:16:33 PM »
totally put this off.  I gotta get on it.

I sent another LOR, but I have yet to send a letter.  (I think I was going to go the letter rout)

any ideas?
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 03:24:39 PM »
Nope.. Thats why I was asking you..

Guess I'll just thank them for waitlisting me and express my continued interest.. Tell them they are my #1 choice.. I live a few blocks from their campus already.. Talk about prestige of their environmental program.. etc.. etc.. Im thinking I'll probably write this one letter, wait until March.. or May.. or whenever it is that you have to express continued interest.. and do that again.. If I choose to go the pt route.. I'll be going to GW or G-town anyway. so no relocation would be involved.. man, it would be sweet to get off that damn list.. Im guessing my chances are around 5%, but still..

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 03:27:07 PM »
Just horning in on your thread here, hope that's OK.  I sent them a letter stating that they are my first choice and that I appreciate the consideration.  I have no idea what to expect from them as I'm not sure if being deferred is better or worse than the priority waitlist.  It's all pretty confusing.  Luckily, it sounds like all of us can go there even if we don't get our letter until June or July since relocation is not the issue.

Good luck!
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 03:32:10 PM »
Great Norm!

How long was your letter... Im thinking a paragraph.. maybe two.. Or was yours a bit more involved.. I know people say that you cant annoy them and you should communicate as much as possible.. But, I think a classy few paragraphs would be more powerful than a barrage of whiney BS..

Oh.. and a deferral is much sweeter than a waitlist, priority or otherwise.. GOOD LUCK!!

eileen2004

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »

When I initially got my deferral letter I was planning on writing some sort of follow-up letter but I've changed my mind.  I think I pretty much said what needed to be said the first time around and I can't imagine that laying it on again will improve my chances.  If they want me, they'll let me know.  If not, I'll go to law school elsewhere. 

You guys on the waitlist are in a different situation, though.  You probably have plenty of time to get additional materials in since they won't be looking at the waitlist until mid-April at the earliest. 

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 03:45:48 PM »
Mine was pretty short and to the point.  I told them that if accepted I planned to enroll and again, thanks for the consideration.  I sort of made it up as I went along.  I also made sure to make it clear I was applying for the PT and who I was so it would get noted quickly.  My PS was good, in my opinion, but a bit long and wordy, so I wanted to keep further communication brief.  I also spent some time on the diversity statement, so I feel they have plenty of info on me.

I did also note that I passed the Patent agent's exam which I did not know at the time of my application, but nothing else new.  I was going to try and get another LOR, but I sent in the best one I can get with my original LSDAS submission, so I don't think another would be any help.  If I had someone I knew that might make a special impression on them, I'd definitely send one more.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

eileen2004

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 03:56:17 PM »
I did also note that I passed the Patent agent's exam which I did not know at the time of my application, but nothing else new.  I was going to try and get another LOR, but I sent in the best one I can get with my original LSDAS submission, so I don't think another would be any help.  If I had someone I knew that might make a special impression on them, I'd definitely send one more.

It definitely sounds like you had some useful information to add to your application.  A letter from me would be along the lines of: I still want to go to your school, so it would be really super if you'd accept me.  I didn't think that would really add much value.   :)

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »

It definitely sounds like you had some useful information to add to your application.  A letter from me would be along the lines of: I still want to go to your school, so it would be really super if you'd accept me.  I didn't think that would really add much value.   :)

I'm not sure about adding value, but I have always heard that they keep track of your contact with the school and gauge your possible matriculation based on that.  I've heard more contact is better (within reason)
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

eileen2004

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 04:09:30 PM »

I'm not sure about adding value, but I have always heard that they keep track of your contact with the school and gauge your possible matriculation based on that.  I've heard more contact is better (within reason)

Yeah, I know, but I'm trying to step away from the crazy a bit.  I applied ED and made very clear in my application that I was only interested in PT programs in DC.  I think they can probably infer from that that I'd matriculate if accepted.  Now, if I'm ultimately put on the waitlist, I'll definitely scrounge up a few more things to add to my file.  Until then, I'm gonna hold.

I may also be a little less anxious about this because as far as convenience goes, GW would make my life a lot easier.