Law School Discussion

How do you apartment search?

Lavia

How do you apartment search?
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:00:45 PM »
Hello, I have some worries.

I'm sending in my deposit to one out of state school, but am hoping to get off the waitlist at another.

I realize I need to plan as if I'm going to the accepted school, but I want to have housing researched and all but decided on in both states. But, I don't have a lot of money/time(time IS money if I have to drive out of town for a few days).

How can I do this? I want to move in by July 31.

Arrghh!!! This moving across the state is SO HARD! I have to make a living and try to save some money (so I'm trying to get a part time job now too), but I also need to drive to the city(ies) I'm going to in order to secure housing.

And I need a place that is rent from the owner (bad credit). Or can I find an apartment agent who understands that I'm in school, and understands that I will pay for the place up front for several months? Loans are given directly in a lump sum I believe, so I could conceiveably pay for several, or maybe even 9 months, all in the beginning. They may work with me then, right???

Any thoughts? Anyone else in the same boat?

Lavia  ???

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you apartment search?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 05:03:33 PM »
Contact the school.  They should have info on apartments commonly rented to their students and possibly even roommate services.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:27:38 PM »
You can also look for apartment referral people (they work to find you an apartment) if the city is fairly large.  Loans are paid in lump sums - but usually twice a year (spring and fall semester) so don't plan on getting everything at once.  Private rentors also do credit checks typically - so either way you will probably have to explain the situation with your credit.

SpeakerDave

• 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 06:36:52 AM »
Lavia,

If you are talking about Georgia State in Atlanta, I am an expert on apartments near GSU.  For a one bedroom you can expect to pay $500 to $1000 a month.  I think you can find something acceptable in the $650-750 range.

Check out www.creativeloafing.com -- New issue published on Thursday!

Let me know before you come into Atlanta.  I can help out more.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 07:49:08 AM »
In the past, I've used student loans as a sort of proof of income to show that I will be able to pay. Most apartments don't care much about your credit, as long as you have the money. Assuming you'll be in a metropolitan area, check out www.apartmentguide.com.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 07:59:43 AM »
I've used craigslist to get all of my apartments!  It has links for most cities now.

www.craigslist.org

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:18:45 AM »
Umm, there was another thread about finding apartments where someone suggested craigslist, and people started telling their horror stories about finding roomies on there. For non-roomie apartments I think craigslist is okay--but my last roommate found me on craigslist, and let me tell you after that I am never having a roommate again. She chased me down the street yelling at me, among other things...

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 01:14:15 PM »
have you tried craigslist.com?  it's great.

caroline

Lavia

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 04:28:42 PM »
Thank you all!! It sounds like I could find a place without actually driving there first? I guess I could have friends/family check it out first.

SpeakerDave, yeah, I think Atlanta/GSU is where I'll be going. Are you going there too? I have a memory lapse...you probably told me before.

Thanks! I personally like Norcross (I'm a nature lover), but it may be wise to live closer to campus.

I'M SO EXCITED!! I'm also terrified. I'm going to law school!! It's getting more real everyday!

Lavia

asriyal

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 04:52:29 PM »
I've had great experiences with craigslist.org - true there are some strange people on there, but if you can weed through them, it's a great resource.  I found my current apartment/roommate on it, and it's worked out amazingly.  I use it all the time for furniture, etc. also. 

This may be because I'm currently located in California, however, where it's a popular resource - it might be a lot more limited in other cities.