Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia Law School Admitted Students ONLY  (Read 5153 times)

floppyshorts

• View Profile
Re: Columbia Law School Admitted Students ONLY
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 10:09:24 PM »
Pookie: I don't think my numbers are auto-admit, but they're median-esque: 3.97/170/(non-URM -- DISCLAIMER: I do NOT mean this to be insensitive to anyone, but because it can sometimes skew the results).  

Maybe my work experience, recs and geographic diversity (raised and went to university in a southern state) helped make it an easier decision for Mr. Milligan.

Bear: Where are you from?  Since I live in NYC now, I will visit Lenfest and Lionsgate and report back on what I find.  Hopefully I will run into you at the admitted students' day.  Also, I haven't received the login or any other information from CLS yet.

BigTex: A doorman is good for keeping the bad people away (Harlem is nearby ya know?).  He can also take packages/dry cleaning/certified mail/etc. for you. 

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 10:11:15 PM »
I think it's more of a safety thing :)
I'm pretty sure floppy was referring to a security desk, as most apartments have....not the cool doorman where they open the door for you, summon your Mercedes, or hold an umbrella over your head in the rain :) We're not quite at that level yet...hehe :) But maybe i'm wrong  ???

anyway...that's what columbia has at lenfest.
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 10:18:38 PM »
floppy -
i live in dc, but my fam is from NJ, so my mom, bf, and i visited while i was home for christmas break. It was honestly so picturesque and beautiful with the snow covering campus :) I'm so excited!!!

My mom was pretty nervous when i mentioned the proximity to Harlem, but i have to say I (and Mom, too) felt really safe walking around the campus. Harlem is supposedly up-and-coming lately, anyway - very vibrabt and a great sense of community from what i hear. What I really love about Columbia's location is that it is so "real" new york. it was nice to not feel like i was trapped in a college campus bubble, but was mingling with the people of morningside heights. I'm not putting down places like NYU by any means, but it was just kind of a cool change for me. I went to gw, so i never really felt like i was part of a real neighborhood. anyway, just my romantic/excited feelings about cls  ;D  sigh....wish it was august already!

floppy - which weekend are you going to attend? will be great to know some people going in!

Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

floppyshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 10:22:17 PM »
Bear: I'll probably go to the first one, just because I am psyched about getting the ball rolling.  Who knows, I may end up at both if the admin folks will let me.

And I actually meant a doorman that opens doors and takes packages, but a security desk will work too.

wrmusgro

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 10:23:08 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought this said third tier toilet admitted students only....my mistake.... I'll just ask the doorman to let me out the door...

NYBound05

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »

BigTex: A doorman is good for keeping the bad people away (Harlem is nearby ya know?).  He can also take packages/dry cleaning/certified mail/etc. for you. 

LOL! I can see how you'd be afraid of the poor, urban people breaking into your place.  ::)

Reason 151 that I am glad to have been raised in an inner-city communnity; I feel comfortable walking down or even living in areas that are deemed as scary or dangerous (e.g. Harlem).

Question: Do any of you know how close Harlem is to CLS?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 11:06:18 PM »
Pookie: I don't think my numbers are auto-admit, but they're median-esque: 3.97/170/(non-URM -- DISCLAIMER: I do NOT mean this to be insensitive to anyone, but because it can sometimes skew the results).  

Maybe my work experience, recs and geographic diversity (raised and went to university in a southern state) helped make it an easier decision for Mr. Milligan.

cool, thanks for the info.  i saw your numbers in the first post, but was wondering if there was anything else about you that could make me not get over-confident myself, since my numbers are very similar to yours.  sounds like there is  ;D

Question: Do any of you know how close Harlem is to CLS?

a couple blocks?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

BigTex

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 11:08:32 PM »

So, a doorman is a beefy bouncer kind of guy? I've always had the image from "The Jeffersons" - some fruity guy with a funny outfit who couldn't intimidate anyone.

floppyshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 11:15:07 PM »
I have a doorman building now in downtown Manhattan.  There are actually several doormen who work shifts, and they're not big bouncer-types, but they do know all of the residents by face so they can monitor who comes in the building.  Although Manhattan is safer than it's ever been, there are still instances of people having their apartments broken into because there was no doorman there to prevent it (I have anecdotal evidence of this from friends).  Also, I will have you know that just a month ago two homeless men were stabbed to death only five blocks from CLS in a park, presumably while they were asleep.  All else equal, I would rather have a doorman. 

the REAL desi

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 11:32:56 PM »
don't you people watch Law and Order?