Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia Law School Admitted Students ONLY  (Read 5164 times)

floppyshorts

• View Profile
Columbia Law School Admitted Students ONLY
« on: January 09, 2005, 03:56:29 AM »
Please give me the breakdown on Columbia housing. I am interested in getting the nicest place I can get - $1,000-$1,500 per month rent (either single or roommates). I've heard Lionsgate and Lenfest are nice. What else is good, even if it isn't CLS-sponsored? When do you apply for housing? Where do you find other CLS roommates?

Also, when is admitted students day? Are there any other interesting facts or events that an admitted student should know about?

I'm turning down SLS and NYU for CLS. Haven't heard from HLS or YLS, but withdrawing those. 3.97/170/White

Thanks.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Columbia Law School Admitted Students ONLY
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 04:14:39 AM »
i haven't been admitted (yet?), but i just fell in love with lenfest tonight.  in case you haven't seen this:  http://www2.law.columbia.edu/lenfest/htmls/  (it's a bit outdated, as you'll see in the first sentence.)

my sister and brother-in-law subleased columbia grad student housing one summer.  this was 6 years ago.  it was a one-bedroom, fairly sizeable for NYC, half a block from campus, with a 24-hour doorman, and it was $900/month.  again, 6 years ago. 

admitted student days are march 2-3 and 30-31.  those are both weds and thurs, to coordinate with NYU's friday day.

if you apply for housing by may 1, you're guaranteed to get *something*.

this is for admitted students:
http://www1.law.columbia.edu/login?redirect_=401&main.redir_url=%2Fadmitted%2Fadmitted_home%3Fnull

i don't want to hijack your thread, but would you mind telling me (by PM/email or by starting a new topic) why you chose CLS over NYU and SLS and before even hearing from HLS and YLS?  oh, and when you heard, since i assume you weren't an ED applicant?  thanks.

and lastly, congrats on your acceptance!!   ;D
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

floppyshorts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 04:44:32 AM »
Hi Pookie,

Thanks for the information.  I was admitted to Columbia, regular decision, on 12/20, the first regular decision acceptance that I know of (even on LSN).  A friend of mine got in 12/8 early decision.  I am NOT on LSN by the way.

Regarding housing, I want a doorman, at least 600 square feet for myself (approx. 1,200 for two people), rent of less than $1,500 and a location within four blocks of the law school.

I currently live and work in NYC (investment banking for a couple of years), and even though I am from the South originally, I now prefer this city to any other (at least as far as locations for top law schools and places to live in your 20's go).  I am not familiar with the West Coast, and I know I never want to work there, so Stanford was never as interesting to me as the elite East Coast schools (HYC).  I couldn't care less about Y for a host of reasons, not least of which are Yale's New Haven location, very small school size, "type" of person that attends (read: ultra-nerdy/socially-challenged/altruistic/academic) and relative disdain for preparing the students for corporate law.  Obviously, H and C are the best at preparing corporate lawyers.  I was deciding between H and C, and seeing as how I prefer NYC, C was the clear choice. I should also state that, in my opinion, C is, as a matter of fact, superior to NYU and Chicago, and this does not need to be debated.  Of the three CCN, Columbia is the only Ivy League (yes, a sports league, but it does carry substantial weight) and it is considered on Wall Street to be the best corporate-centric law school along with H.  NYU and Chicago are a step behind, in reputation, name and NYC firm placement.

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Floppy - I'm going to columbia too....so excited!

Pook - where did you get those admitted students dates from? I emailed on Thursday, and was told the dates were March 2-3 and March 30-31.....hmmmmm.

I actually visited over break and saw Lenfest. really, really nice!! Security desk, friendly people, lots of study/computer rooms...unfortunately i didnt get to see an actual room though. oooh! I did see the bamboo garden (which i thought was so cute when i read about it on the lenfest website). It was so pretty and snow-covered :)

Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 08:23:55 PM »
ps - Floppy, you have not received your admitted student logon yet, have you?
Or anyone else?
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

foxnewssucks

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 08:24:15 PM »
ONLY? hah.  I am crashing the party.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 08:26:03 PM »
Pook - where did you get those admitted students dates from? I emailed on Thursday, and was told the dates were March 2-3 and March 30-31.....hmmmmm.

eek!   :-[  i went based on NYU dates, but picked the wrong two.  SO sorry; i should have known, since i'm planning on the march 2-3 one if i get into columbia.  will edit my response.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 08:29:23 PM »
No problem!! :)

And you mean when, not if!

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 08:37:01 PM »
hee hee, hopefully :)  i'm really looking forward to seeing on-campus housing at these places.  seems like it'd be so much easier than finding a place off-campus, and more trustworthy.

:o at floppy hearing back 12/20.  did you have super-auto-admit numbers?

BigTex

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »
I'm just curious, what's the big deal about having a doorman? Is that a new york thing or something?