Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern U. School of Law  (Read 1135 times)

asriyal

Northwestern U. School of Law
« on: April 28, 2004, 03:20:32 PM »
So I don't really see much about NU Law posted on this board, and I'm pretty much set on going there next year (waitlisted at Boalt and UCLA, there went my dream of staying in California).  Does anyone have an opinion on NU?  Is the sticker price really worth it?  Do you think it's ever going to stay in the top ten in the rankings?  How come there are so few posts about it?

I really liked it when I visited, and liked the people a lot as well.  I have to admit I never thought of it while applying - only sent in an app because of the fee waiver!  But I'm pretty excited about going.  Anyone have any input though?? 

Louder Than Bombs

Re: Northwestern U. School of Law
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 04:09:23 PM »
So I don't really see much about NU Law posted on this board, and I'm pretty much set on going there next year (waitlisted at Boalt and UCLA, there went my dream of staying in California).  Does anyone have an opinion on NU?  Is the sticker price really worth it?  Do you think it's ever going to stay in the top ten in the rankings?  How come there are so few posts about it?

I really liked it when I visited, and liked the people a lot as well.  I have to admit I never thought of it while applying - only sent in an app because of the fee waiver!  But I'm pretty excited about going.  Anyone have any input though?? 

Here is my opinion...consider yourself lucky to go to Northwestern. It is a great school with a great reputation, and you will be able to do basically whatever you want when you graduate. Going top-14 is always worth it. Good luck.

Chris

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 04:13:13 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about Northwestern.  It may not be U. Chicago but then again Boalt is not Stanford and nobody begrudges a degree from Boalt. You'll be able to do whatever you want. Good luck!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 04:16:23 PM »
what are the chances of working in NY after attending NU or UChicago?

is it better to go to fordham instead of these two schools if one wants to work in NY?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 04:26:05 PM »
what are the chances of working in NY after attending NU or UChicago?

is it better to go to fordham instead of these two schools if one wants to work in NY?

I have a friend who went to Northwestern (she graduated last year) and supposedly she was heavily recruited by firms in NY.

That's not to say Fordham grads aren't heavily recruited...

If you want to stay in NY, Fordham is a great school - according to their website, they are fifth in NYC as far as placement in large firms goes (after Yale, Harvard, NYU, and Columbia).

If I had to pay my way for both, however, I'd go top-14 for prestige. But if you go to Fordham, you will be able to network in NYC.

Chris

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 04:26:47 PM »
BTW, asriyal - cool name.

Chris

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 04:31:23 PM »
I would definitely say go to Northwestern...Fordman folks?  RU kidding?  Northwestern has an excellent nationwide reputation and is an excellent school.  It has been and will continue to be in the top 20.  If you want to work in NY, I would still say go to Northwestern.  Your degree will mean more and distinguish you from other applicants.  The quality of your legal education will be higher.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 04:33:45 PM »
I would definitely say go to Northwestern...Fordman folks?  RU kidding?  Northwestern has an excellent nationwide reputation and is an excellent school.  It has been and will continue to be in the top 20.  If you want to work in NY, I would still say go to Northwestern.  Your degree will mean more and distinguish you from other applicants.  The quality of your legal education will be higher.

i do know that fordham 3Ls are HEAVILY recruited in nyc.  with that said, i guess my question is specifically for law students who KNOW they want to stay in NYC. 

and from what i hear, fordham is also incredibly underrated in the rankings.  any truth to this?

asriyal

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 07:13:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone =)  I guess I've just been a little frustrated by people in California ("Northwestern?  Ism't that like Southwestern?  Or Northeastern?  Why would you go there?").

Dsong02: I think a lot more NU people go to NYC than to California - I have mixed feelings about that.  I want to come back to California, but I'm not sure whether it'll be good for me to attend NU - more legwork and less prestigious rep out here, but also I won't be just another UCLA grad, and hopefully I won't have to fight over interview slots on campus =)  I think a lot of firms do interview on campus, though.  The admit binder has a list of all of the firms that do, it was pretty extensive.  To tell the truth, I'd stay in the area if I was certain I wanted to end up there.  I probably would have taken UCLA if I'd gotten in, just because I know I want to be in California, and it's just a pain to move for three years as well as build connections later.  If I was less certain, I'd go for the more prestigious school.  But it sounds like you're already pretty sure what you're going to do...

Louder Than Bombs: thanks =)  it's been my handle forever now it seems.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 07:19:37 PM »
If I was less certain, I'd go for the more prestigious school.  But it sounds like you're already pretty sure what you're going to do...

the only thing im certain about is WANTING to go to law school and attending whoever will have me. 

good luck with your choice.