Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL Open House  (Read 1581 times)

dubris

WUSTL Open House
« on: January 08, 2005, 06:56:09 PM »
I went to the open house on Friday. I thought I'd write up my impressions of the school and the area.
St Louis seems like a cool town, although my exposure was limited to the Central-West end. Its like a mini-metropolis. My fiancee went around to look at places to live and rent seemed cheap for a city. One bedrooms from 600-800, two bedrooms from 700-900.
The open house was really nice and pretty informative. The building really is amazing, the library especially. The rest of the campus is architecturally similar. I didn't go in any other buildings besides Busch Hall (There are like three buildings named Busch hall btw) It started off with a Q&A with current students. One of them was a 2L who has a summer job lined in Tampa, which is where he would like to end up. I found that interesting, since I've been told its tough for WUSTL students to break out of the midwest. The other two students were 1Ls. One of them chose WUSTL over GW and Vandy, but that was because he wants to stay in the midwest. They all seemed pretty happy with the school, but I don't think they would have lined up disgruntled students for the open house.
After the tour of the building and a financial aid presentation, they had an alumni panel (working in StL) for Q&A. They all either graduated in '02 or '03. I was really surprised at some of their statements. Someone asked about chosing WUSTL at full price vs. a scholarship at a lower ranked school, and some of the alumni said the less debt option may be the way to go, especially if you know you don't want to work at a big firm (I know that's not shocking, but I was surprised to hear it on the tour.) They also said that WUSTL's name recognition is still catching up to their ranking, which makes sense since they were ranked maybe 8-10 spots lower just three years ago when they graduated. They ranked the areas in which WUSTL grads can have success finding a job: Midwest (esp. Chicago), DC, Northeast (expect Boston. They were adamant that WUSTL does not place well in Boston.), South (Texas especially) and then the West Coast, although they said the West Coast is stating to get more WUSTL grads.
Overall I like the school. I know that LSD and xoxo loves to bash WUSTL, but I don't think I can get into schools ranked higher than #20, so I'll have to choose between ND, WUSTL, W&L, etc. I got the impression that WUSTL is pretty well-rounded, so that will help someone like me who has no idea what type of law they want to practice. Plus its in a major city, which is a major factor since my fiancee is worried about finding a job in South Bend, or Lexington.
Anyone else visit or have any opinions, questions?

umrbizman

• So, my choice is 'Or Death?'
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL Open House
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 07:08:32 PM »
Thanks for the info dubris.  WashU looks like a great university and I will definitely be visiting in the summer time to check it out.   I have heard from a few that it is a competitive school but everyone agreed it was a good school to go to.   The average grad makes about 80K a year (in STL that is really good) and has a huge alumni base in the midwest.  The only problem I would have attending there is trying to get a job on the west coast.  You said they are getting more graduates to feed over to the west coast.  But, I would hate to try and explain where my school was at to an interviewer in CA ("no, not washington the state or the city, saint louis!). 
In: WashU, STL($)
Pending: USC, BU, SanDiego, Michigan
Purgatory: Georgetown(PT), NotreDame
Waiting for the UTexas DENIED! letter... Ease the pain please.
_____________________________ ________
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=PyrosRider

ilsox7

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I visited and considered Wash U. for undergrad.  Loved  the campus and St. Louis.  The area right around the campus isn't great, but St. Louis is a fun city.  Law school is a reach for me there, but ya never know!

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:01:25 AM »
Damn, that breaks my heart, the whole Boston thing -- cause it's defintiely a city a want to live in...
I really really hope I get into a better-ranked school than fordham now

dubris

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 02:16:55 AM »
Damn, that breaks my heart, the whole Boston thing -- cause it's defintiely a city a want to live in...
I really really hope I get into a better-ranked school than fordham now

You should probably look into the Boston thing in more depth. I'm just telling you what someone else said, he could have been wrong.

I'm sure it won't be a problem for you though, it looks like you'll get into a lot of other schools  :)

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 02:44:08 AM »
I went to the open house on Friday. I thought I'd write up my impressions of the school and the area.
St Louis seems like a cool town, although my exposure was limited to the Central-West end. Its like a mini-metropolis. My fiancee went around to look at places to live and rent seemed cheap for a city. One bedrooms from 600-800, two bedrooms from 700-900.

just fyi, the central-west end is arguably about as good as it gets as far as what to do in stl.  there are certainly other similar places (the landing/soulard) along with other odd-ball things (malls, etc) but a familiarity of that area should really give you a decent idea of how things are.  also, although 600-800/1BR may sound pretty cheap, many of the suburb cities you could probably live for ~$400 1BR (or even less if you get lucky) and you could probably expect about a 20-30 min drive from most of those places (also, stl traffic is not really bad even during rush hour, of course people complain, but its nothing compared to many cities).  i was talking to a 2L from wash u about 3 weeks ago and asked him about it and the only thing he said he didnt like was that students are pretty competitive, but i would think that is pretty typical of a top 20 school.  anyway, hth, any more questions about stl or the area (not necessarily the school) i should prob be able to answer.

ilsox7

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 03:40:45 AM »
St. Louis also has good baseball with the Cardinals.  Major plus in my book, considering they are my 2nd favorite team 19 times a year (anyone who plays the Cubs is my 2nd favorite team).

dubris

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
Thanks for that info dubris.  What markets are you looking at, and when you said "especially Texas", what did you mean?  Did the person make a point about it or provide any examples/stories?  I'm just curious, because I may have the same top 20 glass ceiling problem.

The alumni at the open house said WUSTL places well in Texas. He said he had a few buddies who now work in Dallas, and a couple who got offers in Houston. That's all I remember/wrote down.

As far as what markets I'm looking at, anywhere but the south :)

Texas Tiger

• View Profile
    • Statistics
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 12:36:37 PM »
Dubris,

Thanks for the great information. I actually seem to be in a very similar position as you...about four years work experience, getting married this summer, and the fiancee is worried about her job propects if we go to Iowa City or another college town.  Thus St. Louis looks a lot more appealing.

I just got accepted to WUSTL and I will be strongly considering it.  Maybe I will see you there!

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 12:51:12 PM »
I have a friend here in Austin who graduated from WUSTL a few years ago. He said it was a great school, St. Louis was fine, and he is really happy with his legal education. But he says  the school is not well known here, so the top-20 ranking doesn't really buy him anything.
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut