Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: neurosis  (Read 696 times)

lauralynne

• Sr. Citizen
  • '02 PSU Alum
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LangelK
    • View Profile
    • Email
neurosis
« on: January 08, 2005, 04:20:56 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if the adcoms coud monitor the amount of time we spend obsessing over the application process.  Do you think they'd still accept us if they knew we were this neurtoic? :o
I will be a Nittany Lion turned Pitt Panther for 1L 2005.

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=xpsupiphi

Gummo

Re: neurosis
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 04:43:45 PM »
I think it must be expected, given the nature of the application process and the legal profession.

I envy the type B's that can apply and forget about it until the acceptances/rejections start rolling in, though.

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 05:15:19 PM »
speaking of "start rolling in",when the hell is this going to be?
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 08:01:53 AM »
I'd bet by the end of this month.

And I agree. I'm sure adcoms expect our obsessions for more than one reason.  I agree that there's probably a majority of Type A personalities in the law, and those of us who have this personality type will obsess over every detail, wondering if it was good enough.

Also, this is such an important time in all of our lives.  It's deciding our future career and so much more.  It'll determine for most of us where we settle down for the next 5-10 years of our life.  For many, you'll meet your spouse/SO while in law school or within a few years of graduating.  With all this on the line, I think a little neurotic behavior is excusable.  :)

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:15:40 AM »
Also, this is such an important time in all of our lives.  It's deciding our future career and so much more.  It'll determine for most of us where we settle down for the next 5-10 years of our life.  For many, you'll meet your spouse/SO while in law school or within a few years of graduating.  With all this on the line....  :)

I don't identify with that kind of sentiment. Is it fair to say that some of us felt this way back when we were applying to college as well???

The problem of being neurotic at certain points extends throughout youth, and it has the effect of making the present seem so infinitely critical, and makes the long term into nothing.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 10:24:17 AM »
hey lauralynne, you got into GW with a 163, that's pretty damned good (GW liked your 163 better'n mine goddamnit!).
So why care anymore, holdin out for better schools?
(163+172)/3.5

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 10:35:37 AM »
It's interesting...as an older candidate (one month shy of 35), I can identify with both sentiments.  On one hand, I have some perspective on this process: I will go to school at the best school I get into, which ever that may be.  In the scheme of things, the long term will be determined by so many factors that it is impossible to rest too much weight on the actual acceptance process.

On the other hand, where I get in will determine what kind of changes are going to occur in the near future - whether we have to move to a new city or not, whether my fiancee will have to find a new job, etc.  I don't think it will determine where I practice in the long term, but who knows?

Still, through this process, you get attached to certain ideas & programs & dreams for the future.  Part of the nervousness is generated by wanting to know which of these attachments will become realty & which we have to give up.  I can claim some perspective, but I'm still checking e-mail, v-mail, snail mail - anticipation is getting the best of me.  Funny, each step of the process seems like the worst: studying for the LSAT, then filling out the apps, now the waiting.  I'm sure next fall, I'll be thinking, "boy, applying to school was a lot more fun than this..."

lauralynne

• Sr. Citizen
  • '02 PSU Alum
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LangelK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 05:47:16 PM »
hey lauralynne, you got into GW with a 163, that's pretty damned good (GW liked your 163 better'n mine goddamnit!).
So why care anymore, holdin out for better schools?

No, crossing my fingers though.  I've only been accepted to one school so far...duquesne...
I will be a Nittany Lion turned Pitt Panther for 1L 2005.

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=xpsupiphi