Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Identifying the Trap Questions  (Read 886 times)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Identifying the Trap Questions
« on: April 28, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »
I have been practicing on the LR sections and have found myself narrowing the selections to 2, but then choosing the choice intended to be second best.  Can someone help me identify these types of answers?  Are there any easy indicators?  I believe if I can master this, my score will be substantially improved.  These types generally cost me 7-10 questions.

jgruber

Re: Identifying the Trap Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:41:13 PM »
Avoid absolutes.  If you've narrowed it to two choices and one of them uses absolute words like always, never, etc.  it is probably wrong.

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:48:24 PM »
Avoid absolutes.  If you've narrowed it to two choices and one of them uses absolute words like always, never, etc.  it is probably wrong.

Not to offend, but I've seen a bunch of reasoning questions where the answer contained the absolute words you describe. There's more to it than just this.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 01:50:45 PM »
None taken.

You are right that some correct answers have absolutes, but if you're guessing and trying to narrow down your choices, eliminating absolutes is a probably a good choice.

Not to offend, but I've seen a bunch of reasoning questions where the answer contained the absolute words you describe. There's more to it than just this.