Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UW and Lewis & Clark  (Read 4770 times)

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UW and Lewis & Clark
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 12:11:06 AM »
ok Perversely, I see your point about the property taxes... but as someone who either lives in my mom's house or rents places, property tax doesn't factor into my world view much. :) 

DC Duck

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 10:22:11 AM »
Well, if last years Law School Numbers are any indications, UW should be sending out a few acceptances this week!  Is that fun stuff or what?!!

LordofLight

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 10:31:03 AM »
They had better. My ass is out of patience.

Well, if last years Law School Numbers are any indications, UW should be sending out a few acceptances this week!  Is that fun stuff or what?!!

ant

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 01:40:25 PM »
This subject has probably been hashed and re-hashed on LSD before but I'll bring it up as I haven't really been here much.

Does anyone have any insight into what stuff UW emphasizes for acceptance (LSAT,GPA,PS, experience). It seems like there numbers are a little out of line with their ranking. Is the rumour about giving the wrong employment data to US news true?

Also, Chiashu  (or however you spell that) gives me like a 50% chance of getting in there, but the grid on their website shows that in my bracket (167/3.62) like 39 out of 45 got in or something. How's that work?

Anyway, I guess I'm just kind of curious if anyone has any interesting insight into the UW admission process as it is my first choice.

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 02:10:17 PM »
Is the rumour about giving the wrong employment data to US news true?

yes, the mistake was outlined on UW law website either last year or the year before- instead of reporting 90some percent job placement 6 months after graduation, accidently reported 70some percent job placement- in the years prior to mistake, UW had been consistently nationally ranked in the 20s

so perhaps that is why admissions appears to be so difficult, given the current ranking?  UW trying to make up for those 10 odd spots it fell in the ranking...

at any rate, i've had a friend with 171/3.4 get rejected, and another with score in low 160s and 3.5 get accepted- so who knows

UW also my first choice, and i'm not optimistic about getting in (although i would lay a brick if that actually  happened)

ant

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 02:36:52 PM »
I feel the exact same way. Unbelievable that the 171/3.4 would get the PFO. I really feel like they're gonna give me the boot.

Do you also find that all the info. you get from them is kind of terse? Like most schools send you flowery 'thanks for applying', 'we can't wait to review your file' emails/letters and UW is like 'we've got your stuff, we'll make a decision to admit or deny admission in 6 months and we might let you know about it at some point'. It just seems like they don't make too much effort to sell you on the school or encourage you, you know?

DC Duck

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
I dont know, i felt pretty good about it when I visited, but your right, the emails leave much to be desired.  They gave me the name and number of someone to call which was nice also (they graduated from the same school as me).
I fear that this might be an all numbers year though since they want to reclaim a top spot in the rankings.  There's probably a bit of a chip on their shoulders.

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 03:08:01 PM »
agreed on the coldness of the emails- in the end though, no matter how you say it, it's the same thing, right?

my cousin who graduated this past spring was asked to be on admissions committee for this cycle (damn him for not taking the position and helping out the family! ;)- he explicitly told me that UW plays a numbers game (on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being unimportant and 10 being important, UW ranks the personal statement a 3, lowest ranking out of any of the top law schools)

but, you never know...(and ps- what does "PFO" mean?)
fingers crossed we all get in :)
(and no need for scholarship, being that it's a state school)

ant

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 03:15:05 PM »
Tell your cousin he's fired for not jumping all over the admit committee, really very selfish :).

As to what PFO is; when I was doing my undergrad in Canada in business a 'PFO' was the letter you'd receive from an investment banking firm you'd interviewed with telling you to 'Please F(fill in with an expletive beginning with F) Off' (PFO).

I'm kinda surprised that PS is valued so low. If they were playing purely a numbers game you'd think they would have been all over your friend with the 171! I feel more in the dark on my application to UW than anywhere else. Did he say anything about valuing work experience really high or anything?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 03:18:11 PM »
loved lewis, hated clark.