Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UW and Lewis & Clark  (Read 4633 times)

kernelgt

Re: UW and Lewis & Clark
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »
Have any of you heard of anyone from UW getting a job on the east coast, or does pretty much everyone stay in Seattle?  And then you'd think that the non-UW lawyers would feel kind of out of place at a bar meeting.  Anyways, I'm asking not because I necessarily plan on going to the east coast to practice, but because I've never been to PNW, and I would hate to go to school there and find out I had no other options for employment if I decided to live somewhere else.  Ironically, though, that is why I applied to U Washington, not so much for the school (which I know is great), but because I thought the idea of living in Seattle would be awesome.

And I know part of the answer already to this:  really if you go to a T50 school, you can work pretty much anywhere if you're in the top of your class...but some schools, if you're in the middle of the pack or worse, won't help you one iota if you relocate somewhere else.

DC Duck

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2005, 10:12:16 AM »
When I met with the UW admissions supervisor, she said that UW really focuses on trying to help graduates locate in other areas to "spread the good name".  Im sure the UW name carries well enough but possibly more importantly, the school has a vested interest in helping those who want to work outside of Washington to do so.

ant

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »
Duck: That is encouraging, though I wonder if every admit officer would say it. One positive thing about the rankings drop is that it may motive UW to concentrate on developing their employment office etc.

kernelgt

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2005, 03:58:32 AM »
When I met with the UW admissions supervisor, she said that UW really focuses on trying to help graduates locate in other areas to "spread the good name".  Im sure the UW name carries well enough but possibly more importantly, the school has a vested interest in helping those who want to work outside of Washington to do so.

That's pretty interesting and good to hear.  Like ant, I'm sure a lot of admissions personnel say that; however, I would tend to agree that perhaps UW actually works harder in this regard.  Two reasons:  It's graduating class is fairly small and most do remain in the area, so it can really put some solid effort into those who want to leave the PNW, and two, they sincerely want to spread the reputation of their school whereas many schools already have the reputation outside of their regions.