Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UW and Lewis & Clark  (Read 5140 times)

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UW and Lewis & Clark
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 02:12:57 PM »
Mark, I'm from Portland, and have family in Seattle.  I would definitely say Portland is the cheaper city to live in.  Portland's housing market is a bit more affordable, and taxes are definitely cheaper...  No sales tax in Oregon!

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »
I emailed UW about number of Apps but haven't heard back yet today.
I agree about a "sure fire way"...it was just funny that they didn't want me to know.

Hey DC Duck--They don't have the staff that does that function!  I know because I've sent them A LOT of emails last year.  (Note:  I'm still in the pre-law section of this discussion).  If you don't send it to someone specifically in admissions, the email will more than likely just be placed in your file.  I didn't apply there this year.

To answer your question:  the Udub (as we call it) doesn't have a curve.  That's right.  They don't have a freakin' scale.  You get what you deserve, like a freakin' IVY.

Good luck on getting in.  Frankly, I'm surprised they actually saw you in admissions.  You must have been REALLY persistant on speaking with someone in person.  It's an excellent school, but the admin people suck!  They need to hire people, not machines.

L&C, on the otherhand, has a level of prestige and professionalism that should be taught to schools like the Udub.  I was thoroughly impressed with the folks there. It feels like home... And even though they have a tough curve, it's well worth the investment.  And remember:  it's WAY more expensive to live in Seattle than in Portland.

To the person who asked about admissions:  The bulk of the schools in the Pacific Northwest will make most of their decisions around mid to late February/early March.  I have NO IDEA why it takes so long on this end of the world.

Perversely yours,

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 05:15:10 PM »
Mark, I'm from Portland, and have family in Seattle.  I would definitely say Portland is the cheaper city to live in.  Portland's housing market is a bit more affordable, and taxes are definitely cheaper...  No sales tax in Oregon!

What?  Are you kidding me?  It's cheaper to rent an apartment in Portland, but property taxes (if you plan to buy a home) are RIDICULOUS!!!! I looked at buying a home there and the property taxes are double of what I currently pay in a comprable town.  Also, you pay state taxes in Portland....Oh...May be I shouldn't say this since I'm advocating for L&C, but these are two pieces of information that needed clarification.  I don't think, however, most people base their decision on whether or not they are going to a school based on the State's property and state taxes....If that was the case, there wouldn't be so many California law students. :-\

Perversely yours,

ennuiner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 07:59:49 PM »
So, I live in Portland, a few thoughts...  Portland is definitely cheaper by degrees and there are a few factors that play into that.  Living in a decent area of Portland is much cheaper than living in a decent area of Seattle, and there really are hardly any bad areas of the city of Portland itself, except for the most ghetto depths of NoPo.  Portland is a much more compact "European" city than Seattle.  You don't really need a car and it's easy to walk from place to place, a real city of neighborhoods.  Seattle is much more spread out and one has to deal with traffic, and I personally feel is not all that attractive of a city on a whole.  But it's bigger, and all that entails.

As for taxes, if that's important, Oregon has higher income and property taxes, but no sales tax.  I don't think it would make too much of a difference if you were a full time student, and is nothing compared to, say, California.  If you are of a libertarian bent and are angered by the Guv'ment taking your hard earned dollar then you can live in Vancouver, Washington and have the best of both worlds, but if you are of a libertarian bent then you probably shouldn't go to either of these schools.  And if you want to live in Vancouver, Washington you should probably get a crack habit too.

If you guys have questions about Portland I'd be happy to answer questions about the City of Roses or anyplace in the northwest.  I spend a lot of time in Seattle, Eugene, etc.
163/3.95
Accepted: Texas
Defered: Penn
Pending: Cornell
Rejected: Boalt
Waitlist(after defered): G'town, UVA, Duke... can't find it in their heart to reject me

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 02:21:24 AM »
Washington doesn't have an income tax, probably doesn't matter for most except maybe those with SO considerations maybe.

DC Duck

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 12:12:11 PM »
I posted this somewhere else, but just a reminder...

The person I talked to from Admissions at UW contacted me and told me that they were opening applications starting on Tuesday and they estimate they'll have about 2400.

Sounds like the grading system is nice...no complaints.

A.J

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 12:15:10 PM »
Anybody been accepted to L&C yet?

dr_draino

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 12:17:04 PM »
D'you ever skate Burnsides?  Is it as awesome as it looks in video clips?

So, I live in Portland, a few thoughts...  Portland is definitely cheaper by degrees and there are a few factors that play into that.  Living in a decent area of Portland is much cheaper than living in a decent area of Seattle, and there really are hardly any bad areas of the city of Portland itself, except for the most ghetto depths of NoPo.  Portland is a much more compact "European" city than Seattle.  You don't really need a car and it's easy to walk from place to place, a real city of neighborhoods.  Seattle is much more spread out and one has to deal with traffic, and I personally feel is not all that attractive of a city on a whole.  But it's bigger, and all that entails.

As for taxes, if that's important, Oregon has higher income and property taxes, but no sales tax.  I don't think it would make too much of a difference if you were a full time student, and is nothing compared to, say, California.  If you are of a libertarian bent and are angered by the Guv'ment taking your hard earned dollar then you can live in Vancouver, Washington and have the best of both worlds, but if you are of a libertarian bent then you probably shouldn't go to either of these schools.  And if you want to live in Vancouver, Washington you should probably get a crack habit too.

If you guys have questions about Portland I'd be happy to answer questions about the City of Roses or anyplace in the northwest.  I spend a lot of time in Seattle, Eugene, etc.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »
Anybody been accepted to L&C yet?

no, i think we might start hearing around 2/1

ennuiner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »
Yeah, I don't really skate but a friend of mine who's skated around the country said Burnside was one of the best he'd ever been to.  Made by skaters for skaters is my understanding... and it's underneath a bridge.
163/3.95
Accepted: Texas
Defered: Penn
Pending: Cornell
Rejected: Boalt
Waitlist(after defered): G'town, UVA, Duke... can't find it in their heart to reject me