Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baltimore?  (Read 1095 times)

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
Baltimore?
« on: January 07, 2005, 01:11:05 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the University of Baltimore? I did a search through old threads and there wasn't much information, but I'm really trying to decide if I want to apply as a safety.  Any information is appreciated!!
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

sotsoj

• 2.34 GPA /166 LSAT
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:39:42 PM »
I know someone who had a relative who went to Baltimore.  I think he described it as "lousy" or something similar.  On the other hand, he's now a practicing lawyer. 

I work at a large firm, and we have a couple of partners who went to Baltimore.  They had extensive work experience before they joined, and there's no way a Baltimore grad could land an Associate spot here, but it shows it's not impossible to do well with a Baltimore degree.  With that in mind, I applied there as a safety school.  I withdrew after I was accepted elsewhere.

Good luck!
Going to George Mason
sotsoj on LSN

nordhabs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 05:31:57 PM »
To All:

UB is a pretty good school. Law school is what you make of it.   Law schools teach the same stuff.  Legal concepts are the same where ever you go.  That said, you have to do especially well at the lower-tiered schools such as Baltimore or Widener to get the $150k/100hr-a-week associate's position. After graduating from law school, you can take the bar and practice law; that's all that matters.  If you want to see if people from UB or other schools end up doing well, check the websites of firms in the area you wish to work after school.  Usually you can search by school.  Doing that, you can find some people get "positions" that some might think are reserved for people from "better" schools.
In general, if you're in the top 15%+/- in any school, you can make the "big bucks". In a single firm, all first years get paid the same, not including bonuses.

I have friends that went to UB and work at Miles, Veneble(sp?), Ober, etc. They are paid the same as other "similarly situated" associates from schools such as Georgetown, UVA, etc.  AFter your first job, anyway, it's not about your grades, its about your experience, ability, and personality.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 12:47:32 AM »
I consulted a prof. who teaches at UB and the prof told me not to apply there, despite my mediocre gpa and low lsat.  I was told that if you are applying from a highly ranked ug (or are at the top of your class in a not-so-competitive ug) that UB wouldn't offer the challenge/career benefits someone from that environment would typically be looking for.  I decided not to apply there as a safety afterall.

That being said, I've sat in on a few of this prof's classes and the prof is AMAZING!  So, if most of their profs are this good, I'd echo the sentiment of nord.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

jblue84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »
I don't think any of you really wanna live in Bodymore, Murderland, USA.  UB is still on the "good side" of town, but it's very close to MLK, and maybe 2 miles from the ghettos on the southwestern side of the city.  Unless you're going into Baltimore in attempt to save the world---- to be a police officer, work at an FBI field office, be a teacher, be a pastor, etc...  I'd stay out.  If you just want to go to law school, you should head elsewhere.

J

Yeah, I don't know about all that, but University of Baltimore isn't the greatest.  I know people who went there and are successful, but it definately isn't top of the line.  And it's really more for locals and non-traditional students.  So unless you're from the area I don't think there is a reason to go there. 

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »
I've heard the same thing about UMd (avoid the area), even though it's a much more competitive school.  I'm somewhat familiar with Baltimore, so I can understand concerns over personal saefty.

Keep in mind, though, the 5 most dangerous cities:
1. Camden, NJ
2. Detroit, MI
3. St. Louis, MO
4. Flint, MI
5. Richmond, VA

Not sure where Baltimore ranks.  :-\
I <3 AH.

jblue84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 03:06:39 PM »
I've heard the same thing about UMd (avoid the area), even though it's a much more competitive school.  I'm somewhat familiar with Baltimore, so I can understand concerns over personal saefty.

Keep in mind, though, the 5 most dangerous cities:
1. Camden, NJ
2. Detroit, MI
3. St. Louis, MO
4. Flint, MI
5. Richmond, VA

Not sure where Baltimore ranks.  :-\

I mean it's a city.  I think we still have have highest murder rate (or we did at one point).  University of MD and University of Baltimore aren't in the worst areas, but not in the best areas either.
I think one of the things it comes down to is housing in Baltimore.  It's really expensive (like all cities I'm sure) to live in a good area, and everywhere else is going to be a tad on the shady side.

But Baltimore has some really nice areas too, and if you do go to one of these schools I'm sure you'll be fine, it's not like you'll be dodging bulets or anything.

Best of luck!

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 03:10:01 PM »
Thanks james.  I know no statistic are ever dead-on, so it's nice to have another data set for comparison.  Where did Camden place on that list though?  It is the one city I have never ever heard anything positive about (as opposed to ATL and St.Louis which I know people who will defend to the grave).

Here's the link for my info., btw http://www.morganquitno.com/safecity.htm
I <3 AH.

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 11:42:50 AM »
You could say the same things about DC - in fact, the nice neighborhoods in DC are closer to the dodgy areas than the ones in Balto.

Baltimore is a tale of two cities, like DC and a lot of other American cities. The vast majority of the crime happens in neighborhoods that you will most likely never set foot in during your 3 years of law school. 

JupiterSun Uhuru

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 11:51:41 AM »
UBalt has awesome professors...very personable and caring.
Michael Meyerson, Michele Gilman, Chris Bosley, Professor Hatcher, Professor Higginbotham (gradson of civil rights Judge Higginbotham)

the US world news rankings are misleading.  Call the school directly, they will speak to you!
"You may check your ego at the door!"