Law School Discussion

Beowulf - Good Name for a Baby?

BigTex

Re: Beowulf - Good Name for a Baby?
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2005, 10:16:43 AM »
Wow, that sounds like an awesome arrangement for both of you!  It's nice that you can do school without relying on an income from her.   

It really is kind of tough.  I don't want to be a stay at home mom forever, but I'd like to do it for at least a while.  There's a woman at my office who just had a baby, took her two months maternity leave and came right back.  I can't imagine doing that.  But it seems like once you step "off track", it's hard to just pick up where you left off career-wise.  Of course, I don't want to be working a gazillion hours a week with little kids either.   Oh well, guess I don't have to think about it for a few years :) Congrats to you and your wife!

I know. It's tough AubZamZam. And part of the toughness lies in the fact that for most men staying at home with the kids is not an option. I admit to being part of the problem on that front. I'm just not willing to give up my career for any length of time to be a stay-at-home-dad. I'm not proud of that, i really do wish i could "get my mind right" so that it is an option on the table. Unfortunately, i'm probably too set in my ways - but i can make a difference in the next generation by raising my son in such a way that he does look at this as a possibility for himself.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »
thir, have you thought about thor?

"you're thor?  i'm tho thor i can hardly pith."

BigTex

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2005, 11:49:17 AM »
Out of curiosity, where does the name Odin stem from?

Odin is the big dog in the norse pantheon.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2005, 11:50:22 AM »
I didn't reall all the posts, but it's weird.  I was thinking about naming my son (if I ever get/steal one) Odin.

erie

DOWNY

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2005, 11:51:25 AM »
I keep trying to convince my wife that "Beowulf" is a great name for our first-born. But she'll have none of it.

So, what do yall think? Is Beowulf a good name? And even if you don't like it, would it be a complete showstopper if your spouse really wanted that name?

Not that it really matters - i'm abiding my wife's desire that the child not be named Beowulf. Just curious if others find it as repugnant.

If she won't go for Beowulf see how she feels about Skeletor or Voltron.

BigTex

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »
I keep trying to convince my wife that "Beowulf" is a great name for our first-born. But she'll have none of it.

So, what do yall think? Is Beowulf a good name? And even if you don't like it, would it be a complete showstopper if your spouse really wanted that name?

Not that it really matters - i'm abiding my wife's desire that the child not be named Beowulf. Just curious if others find it as repugnant.

If she won't go for Beowulf see how she feels about Skeletor or Voltron.

That's funny, but not too funny. "Crom" was a top contender.

DOWNY

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2005, 11:56:27 AM »
I prefer Cornwallis myself.

jdub

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2005, 12:13:42 PM »
Odin is a cool name.  My first born will be named Tristan.   :)

BigTex

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2005, 12:23:03 PM »
Cool, I'm now googling Odin and reading the dirt.  Is your interest in Norse mythology a long-term thing or did you just like the name because it carries with it the idea of strength/power/what have you?

I've always been a big fan of old english and norse culture. As a kid i couldn't read enough about Viking lore. The boy was gonna be named something integral to Beowulf, Lord of the Rings (*old* school fan), or the Conan myths.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
Loki