Law School Discussion

Beowulf - Good Name for a Baby?

BigTex

Beowulf - Good Name for a Baby?
« on: January 07, 2005, 09:42:11 AM »
I keep trying to convince my wife that "Beowulf" is a great name for our first-born. But she'll have none of it.

So, what do yall think? Is Beowulf a good name? And even if you don't like it, would it be a complete showstopper if your spouse really wanted that name?

Not that it really matters - i'm abiding my wife's desire that the child not be named Beowulf. Just curious if others find it as repugnant.

amarain

• View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
Re: Beowulf - Good Name for a Baby?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »
No.

Just, no.

kbp

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:49:50 AM »
you could compromise and name your first born dog beowulf

lazybum

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 09:50:06 AM »
No on the Beowulf, but how about Grendel?  :D jk of course

prospect

• "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:52:47 AM »
Only as a middle name, preceded by Scott, as in Scott Beowulf ____.

BigTex

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:58:36 AM »
My husband feels the same way about "Beatrice."  But I love it.

Beowulf is the hero, right?  Works for me.

At least there's one adventurous spirit out there in the fog! Unfortunately, i don't think "LizardD on LSD says it's ok hun" will do any good.

lazybum

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 10:01:54 AM »
Seriously, I'm all about unusual names; in fact, my real name is one of a kind.  However, I feel like Beowulf has connotations to it that a kid would not be thrilled about having attached to his name.  You can be adventurous and give your a child a completely new, original name (after you make one up, of course) and spare him the snickering every time his English teacher calls on him/her in class.  But of course, this is all IMHO.  :)

BigTex

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 10:03:24 AM »
OK. After a couple of PM's asking "why would you want to name your GIRL Beowulf!!??" I thought i'd post the link below:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,15824.0.html

BigTex

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 10:04:24 AM »
Seriously, I'm all about unusual names; in fact, my real name is one of a kind.  However, I feel like Beowulf has connotations to it that a kid would not be thrilled about having attached to his name.  You can be adventurous and give your a child a completely new, original name (after you make one up, of course) and spare him the snickering every time his English teacher calls on him in class.  But of course, this is all IMHO.  :)

I know ... I know. That's just what my wife keeps saying.

amarain

• View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 10:06:55 AM »
I think Beowulf is okay for a middle name, if you must. My friend and her husband had a big struggle over their baby's name - she agreed to let him name a boy, since she was certain it would be a girl and she already had "Susanna May" picked out. But of course, it was a boy, and he wanted to name the baby "Beck" or "Turkish." So eventually they compromised and named it "Thomas Beck Theirlastname" which I think is nice.