Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: applying to night school or part time....  (Read 2669 times)

LC

• View Profile
    • Email
applying to night school or part time....
« on: April 28, 2004, 10:42:50 AM »
is it really worth it ?

does it increase ones chance of getting into a certain school ?

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: applying to night school or part time....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 10:48:39 AM »
Depends on the school. Where you get more flexibility with numbers, you make up for in experience. If you are doing it just to get into a school you wouldn't qualify for ordinarily, and you don't have the experience to back it up, you are generally in for a tough battle.

But this is a generalization, and I am sure there are schools out there where it is much easier to get into the PT program.
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 10:49:53 AM »
It is worth it if you want to get a law degree part-time. 

It is a little easier to get into the PT program at most schools.  For instance, GULC's FT program has a 75% LSAT score of 170 while the PT program's is 166.  So, it is easier.   

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 10:50:26 AM »
I would only apply PT if you had a reason you could not attend FT.  I've heard that GSU's PT program gets more applicants per slot than their FT program.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

jgomez

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 10:51:11 AM »
most people that apply to night school have no choice because they have to make money to support their family.  It is easier to get into based on stats, as you look on the LSAC ABA stats that just came out, you will see that less people apply to PT programs and their stats are definitely lower. 

i think you will get the same education but it's going to take a lot of hard work since you have to juggle a 40+ work week and law school, plus it's going to take longer time. 

that said, if you want to go to law school, feed your kids at the same time, and that's all you can do, what else are you going to do?

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:06:30 AM »
It's worth it to me, because it's my only choice.   Wait.  Is it a choice if it is the only one?   :)

powersx2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 06:12:26 PM »
Is it possible to apply for part time, get accepted, and then switch to full time once you have been accepted into a school?

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 06:14:47 PM »
Is it possible to apply for part time, get accepted, and then switch to full time once you have been accepted into a school?

Many schools allow you to do this after completion of the first year/semester of study.  I doubt many schools will allow you to do this before you begin 1L.

jgomez

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 08:48:40 AM »
and i think the PT student has to make up some credits during the summer so as to catch up to the total credits of a FT student.