Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Work Study?  (Read 1039 times)

rozter

• View Profile
Work Study?
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:41:31 AM »
Is it wise to accept a work study offer in my first year? I need the money, but don't want to diminish opportunities that might be available in my first summer.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Re: Work Study?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 09:50:29 AM »
I don't think 1L's are allowed to work during the school year, including work study. Unless maybe it's a non-ABA school.

rozter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »
Well, it's an ABA acredited school and they've offered work study...

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 09:58:15 AM »
I'd say it depends on how much of your time you want to give up.  I'm guessing that even a 1L will have time to spare.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 10:34:32 AM »
That's really weird. I went to a finaid infosession at an ABA school and they told us something like the ABA does not allow 1st year law students to work, even work study. I guess either they lied or your school is breaking the rules.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:39:58 AM »
That's really weird. I went to a finaid infosession at an ABA school and they told us something like the ABA does not allow 1st year law students to work, even work study. I guess either they lied or your school is breaking the rules.

Actually, marista, a full-time law student can work up to twenty hours/week.  However, most law schools frown on working in the first year.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 10:42:08 AM »
When they frown on you, get a picture and post it here.  I"ve always wanted to see what frowning on someone looked like.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 10:48:14 AM »

If the ABA has rules regarding student employment, then it is probably sanctioned around the number of hours a student may work.  I doubt it is "forbidden," but, rather, discouraged.  I the school I hope to attend does consider it an Honor Code violation if a student works more than 20 hours per week, and they do not recommend than 1Ls work at all during the shcool year.  But less than that is okay, and I know of many students who participate in student employment/work stduies.  Work studies are addressed in the financial aid section of their website, and the following statement is included in their student handbook:

Full-time students may work no more than 20 hours per week. Violations of this requirement could result in an Honor Court violation. If in doubt, please check with the Dean's office.
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

asugirliegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 12:55:39 PM »
I was offered work study at Northeastern, but the amount of money I would gain really wasn't worth the time I would spend working. I'd rather study and take out another loan.