Law School Discussion

Snotty law schools

WillyardB

• If elected, I'll be tough on ALL crime.
    • View Profile
Re: Snotty law schools
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 09:44:12 AM »
define snotty. i mean, i know what snotty is but give me an example of how northeasterners are snottier.

If your request was directed at me, which I think it was, I'm not sure I can help you.

I understood “Snotty” to mean cold, snobby, unfriendly and/or unhelpful. As for the Northeast being any worse than any other part of the U.S., I don’t necessarily agree with it and I don’t necessarily believe it to be factual. Please understand that when I said, “I’ve heard that we all seem snotty,” I truly meant it. My experience, as I stated, has been pleasant. 

As for examples, you may want to ask a person from the Midwest or the South. They may be able to provide some.  I hope I was warm, humble, friendly and helpful in my reply to you.

Cheers!

Dixon

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 08:12:36 AM »
     I am from the South and believe that I can shed some light on the issue of why Yankees are percieved as being "snotty", or more commonly, "rude".
     I was born and raised in the city that fired the first shots of the War Between the States and grew up among true Southerners. In the last 10-15 years we have had a massive influx of Yankees as our economy has grown and the benefits of the Southern lifestyle become more widely known. Because of this I believe I am qualified to point out the attitudes/behaviors that stand is sharp contrast to our accepted social mores. (I can only point out the perceptions of Southerners as I have never lived in the midwest or west coast).
     1.Yankees tend to speak their minds. Such honesty is not considered a virtue in the South where we live and die by the maxim that one should say nothing at all unless it is positive.
     2.People from the north tend to not respect Southern institutions and traditions. We have a saying where we live that "Charlestonians are like the Chinese- we eat lots or rice and worship our ancestors". Giving an unsolicited northern perspective on controversial historical issues is generally not appreciated.
     3.Northerners are percieved to do things faster and louder than we do them. They are generally more impatient (or show their impatience), talk faster and louder, and are more assertive (agressive) then most Southerners.
     4. In the South hospitality is considered to be of paramount importance. This means saying hello to people with whom you have even minor interactions. It means saying "ma'am" and "sir" to those that are older or of greater rank. (Yes, the class system is very much alive and well in the South). It means making small talk to other people waiting in line and saying "please" and "thank you" to gas station clerks.
     5. Northern women have an even harder time fitting in then the men do. Southern women are taught to be gracious to a fault and to avoid conflict, especially with men. This means women that express strong opinions are generally not well accepted, even by the Southern women.
     6.What may be a "joke" to a Yankee is an insult to a Southerner. This is a big one. "Funny" observations about attire, accent, hairstyle, etc are only acceptable among close friends, and even then only to a certain degree. While making an offhand clever comment at the expense of a stranger or aquaintance may be permissible or even encouraged in the north, it is considered to be the epitome of rudeness in the south. (We had a Yankee transplant professor in grad school that thought he was only "making jokes" in class. After several complaints he apologized to the class for not understanding "this whole Southern thing".
     These are just a few of the major differences between Yankess and those from the south from one southerners perspective. Things are different in larger, New South Cities (Charlotte and Atlanta).
     I hope this addded to the discussion.

Ginatio

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 08:25:20 AM »
Well... I don't claim to be a northerner, but I for one find it rude that Southerners refer to anyone that doesn't have a Southern accent as a "Yankee". The Civil War is over... the only Yankees I know of play baseball in New York.

Other than that, I find Southerners to be almost too nice and polite. So much so that it makes me paranoid. It may be from living outside of the South all my life, but whenever someone is that nice or smiles that often, I figure they must have an agenda. I get the feeling Southerners are polite to your face and then turn around and talk dirty behind your back... wondering what all these Yankees are doing in their backyard.

But more to the topic at hand, I think a lot of the snotty attitudes I noticed at Emory Law came almost exclusively from the Northerners.

These are just a few of the major differences between Yankess and those from the south from one southerners perspective. Things are different in larger, New South Cities (Charlotte and Atlanta).

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 09:08:03 AM »
the people from the North that go to Emory or from New York/New Jersey/Phildalphia Area and are primarily jewish and probably already know each other because they are jewish and we tend to stick with each other like other cultures, maybe to a fault

GA_Kristi

• Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 09:18:03 AM »
     I am from the South and believe that I can shed some light on the issue of why Yankees are percieved as being "snotty", or more commonly, "rude".
     I was born and raised in the city that fired the first shots of the War Between the States and grew up among true Southerners. In the last 10-15 years we have had a massive influx of Yankees as our economy has grown and the benefits of the Southern lifestyle become more widely known. Because of this I believe I am qualified to point out the attitudes/behaviors that stand is sharp contrast to our accepted social mores. (I can only point out the perceptions of Southerners as I have never lived in the midwest or west coast).
     1.Yankees tend to speak their minds. Such honesty is not considered a virtue in the South where we live and die by the maxim that one should say nothing at all unless it is positive.
     2.People from the north tend to not respect Southern institutions and traditions. We have a saying where we live that "Charlestonians are like the Chinese- we eat lots or rice and worship our ancestors". Giving an unsolicited northern perspective on controversial historical issues is generally not appreciated.
     3.Northerners are percieved to do things faster and louder than we do them. They are generally more impatient (or show their impatience), talk faster and louder, and are more assertive (agressive) then most Southerners.
     4. In the South hospitality is considered to be of paramount importance. This means saying hello to people with whom you have even minor interactions. It means saying "ma'am" and "sir" to those that are older or of greater rank. (Yes, the class system is very much alive and well in the South). It means making small talk to other people waiting in line and saying "please" and "thank you" to gas station clerks.
     5. Northern women have an even harder time fitting in then the men do. Southern women are taught to be gracious to a fault and to avoid conflict, especially with men. This means women that express strong opinions are generally not well accepted, even by the Southern women.
     6.What may be a "joke" to a Yankee is an insult to a Southerner. This is a big one. "Funny" observations about attire, accent, hairstyle, etc are only acceptable among close friends, and even then only to a certain degree. While making an offhand clever comment at the expense of a stranger or aquaintance may be permissible or even encouraged in the north, it is considered to be the epitome of rudeness in the south. (We had a Yankee transplant professor in grad school that thought he was only "making jokes" in class. After several complaints he apologized to the class for not understanding "this whole Southern thing".

I've lived in Atlanta my whole life and I completely agree with ALL of this!!  Great explanation!  :)  I might reproduce elsewhere on my website, though I'll give you full credit (or at least your moniker)!! 

Nice job!

jbshane

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 11:14:58 AM »

I haven't posted consistently in probably over a month, but I just can't keep my hands off of this one.

Before I start with a small rant, let me say that every time I have been to the Southeastern US, I have loved every minute of it.  I have visited New Orleans multiple times, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlottesville, Richmond, Lexington (VA)and even worked on a Habitat home in Vicksburg, MS for a week in 1998.

A vast majority of the Southern people with whom I have come into contact were always incredibly polite, generous, and accommodating, and I'm a Northeasterner through and through.  Now, it must be understood that I have spent time all over the US, plus all over Europe, and therefore do my best to "do as the Romans do" when I am not at home (wherever that may be, as it seems to change rather often).  There is an art to blending in when visiting an unfamiliar place, and many people (including Northerners and Southerners) oftentimes do not recognize this fact.

This all being said, I still have a few remarks:

First off, don't call me a Yankee.  Ginatio is right: the Civil war ended 139 years ago.  If you want to call me and my Northern brethren "Yankees," be prepared to hear some choice words for Southerners.

Regarding your point #5: this description of the Southern attitude toward women is something that we Northerners would file under "sexism."

What Southern traditions do Northerners not respect?  The flying of the Confederate flag over your state capital buildings?  Placing the Ten Commandments in your courthouses, where they have no place?  Or are we going as far back as the integration your public school systems and universities?  These issues are pretty cut and dry.

Finally, don’t put all Northerners (or “Yankees”) into one category based on your seemingly narrow observations.  You Southerners have gotten in trouble for categorizing certain types of people before.

“Well, if the South is ever to rise again, Richmond is surely no indication.” – my brother, while driving through the state capital of Virginia

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 12:04:22 PM »
I may be from the North, but I'm a Red Sox fan.  Please don't ever, ever call me a Yankee.

Ginatio

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »
lol. NOMAR!

I may be from the North, but I'm a Red Sox fan.  Please don't ever, ever call me a Yankee.

GA_Kristi

• Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 12:11:40 PM »
I know this all started out by us talking about how Emory is kind of a snotty school and that we attribute it to the vast number of "northerners" (not yankees, excuse me) that attend...but, I thought it was all in good natured fun.  I have lots of friends from the northern region and most kid and joke around about being Yankees stuck down here in the South.  I think people from the North and people from the South are vastly different, as is our cultures.  That doesn't mean one is better than the other.  Sometimes I wish I had the guts to speak my mind like most of my friends from the North seem to do so well.  However, like mentioned before, most southerners are bred to keep their mouths shut if they can't say something nice.

Even southernerns are different though.  Those from rural areas are far more "redneck" usually, not as educated, treat their women bad etc.  No one said the South was perfect.  But, in general, people from the South are just different than people from the North and sometimes its easy to tell when someone here is really from up north.  My experience at Emory has been that NO one is willing to help you in any way.  Perhaps this is just because its a competitive law school.  Its just my experience that most people from the South will go out of their way to give you directions, or help you find something, etc.  Most people at Emory are from the North and most will scowl at you if you ask for help...hence the reasoning behind the assumption that those from the North are less likely to be nice and helpful. 

Perhaps we've oversimplified it all and wrongly characterized those from the North, but there are definitely distinct differences between those from the South and those from the North.  Doesn't make either right, just different.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 12:20:23 PM »
I'm from neither the North or the South, (CA), but I moved to Atlanta for undergrad and have lived here for a total of about 6 years now. I don't identify with either of the demographic groups, so I feel like my opinion is at least somewhat unbiased. A lot of what people said, positive and negative, is true about both Southerners and Northern transplants based on my observations. However, I don't think it's fair or accurate to make blanket statements about either group, as I have known many, many exceptions to all of the "rules" listed.