Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you FEAR?  (Read 2642 times)

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you FEAR?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 11:27:10 AM »
3. staying at a job as intellectually stifling and initiative draining as my current one for the rest of my life

2 George W. Bush being reelected

Me too!  I fear that if I don't make it this fall, I'll be stuck in my cubicle forever.  I was at an all-employee meeting last week and they gave a statistic that keeps me up nights:  If a new employee stays for 2-3 years, the likelihood of that employee becoming a lifer increases to near certainty.  I've been at my company 6 years. 

Now, that's scary.

That, and Bush.

Spiders are our friends.  They eat other pests by the gazillions.

That, and the mascot of the school I want to attend is a Spider.  I *heart* spiders. :)
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

nathanielmark

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 11:40:13 AM »
u must work for a large company like me.  its actually my current job that motivated me to go back to school.  that and looking around at other jobs only to realize that the same BS probably goes on at every large company.  no thanks!

3. staying at a job as intellectually stifling and initiative draining as my current one for the rest of my life

2 George W. Bush being reelected

Me too!  I fear that if I don't make it this fall, I'll be stuck in my cubicle forever.  I was at an all-employee meeting last week and they gave a statistic that keeps me up nights:  If a new employee stays for 2-3 years, the likelihood of that employee becoming a lifer increases to near certainty.  I've been at my company 6 years. 

Now, that's scary.

That, and Bush.

Spiders are our friends.  They eat other pests by the gazillions.

That, and the mascot of the school I want to attend is a Spider.  I *heart* spiders. :)

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2004, 11:46:49 AM »
u must work for a large company like me.  its actually my current job that motivated me to go back to school.  that and looking around at other jobs only to realize that the same BS probably goes on at every large company.  no thanks!

Yep, IT in a big company.  Don't get me wrong, I have a great job, and I have done very well for myself in my six years since college.  But yes, the day I realized that I don't like what I do enough to do it forever, there's nowhere for me to go but to a mgmt position (which I don't want, not in this field, anyway), and I'm not qualified for anything else was the day I knew I needed to make a change.  Thank goodness around that same time I discovered a career in law would be a perfect fit for my goals and personality![quote
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

dta

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 01:55:31 PM »
I fear clowns and failure. With failure you can at least do something about it - work hard, study hard, etc. But it's still scary.

But clowns! There's nothing you can do about them. They're everywhere! They pretend to be happy and lovable, but you just know there's some psycho under all that makeup!!  :o

jgruber

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2004, 01:56:17 PM »
I fear clowns and failure. With failure you can at least do something about it - work hard, study hard, etc. But it's still scary.

But clowns! There's nothing you can do about them. They're everywhere! They pretend to be happy and lovable, but you just know there's some psycho under all that makeup!!  :o

Clowns freaked me out when I was a kid.  Don't like to this day.

nathanielmark

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2004, 02:01:17 PM »
where do you work?  are you in northern va?  I work for CSC. i do reporting for healthcare systems.  i spent 2 great years after i graduated for a small software development company.  everyone was smart, hard working, and it was a great atmosphrere. then of course, i got laid off when the company nearly went under.

now i feel like a cog in the great corporate machine.  much of the nonsense i have to accomodate in my work i have little influence to change.  doing reporting, you get to pretty much accomodate all the other things that people screwed up.  we have like 10 different websites to do all kinds of administrative stuff, none of which are interconnected, we have a telephone time entry stysem, and we use lotus notes; its like going 10 years back in time. 

i have my yearly review coming up when i have to set goals and such.  i feel like saying "my goal is to go to law school part time because as lame as my job may be, it looks like it would only get worse with advancement".

but the benefits are good, pay is reasonable, workload is light, and i would be very difficult to replace.  i feel like with law school on the horizon i should stay put.

Yep, IT in a big company.  Don't get me wrong, I have a great job, and I have done very well for myself in my six years since college.  But yes, the day I realized that I don't like what I do enough to do it forever, there's nowhere for me to go but to a mgmt position (which I don't want, not in this field, anyway), and I'm not qualified for anything else was the day I knew I needed to make a change.  Thank goodness around that same time I discovered a career in law would be a perfect fit for my goals and personality![quote

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »
where do you work?  are you in northern va?  I work for CSC. i do reporting for healthcare systems.  i spent 2 great years after i graduated for a small software development company.  everyone was smart, hard working, and it was a great atmosphrere. then of course, i got laid off when the company nearly went under.

now i feel like a cog in the great corporate machine.  much of the nonsense i have to accomodate in my work i have little influence to change.  doing reporting, you get to pretty much accomodate all the other things that people screwed up.  we have like 10 different websites to do all kinds of administrative stuff, none of which are interconnected, we have a telephone time entry stysem, and we use lotus notes; its like going 10 years back in time. 

i have my yearly review coming up when i have to set goals and such.  i feel like saying "my goal is to go to law school part time because as lame as my job may be, it looks like it would only get worse with advancement".

but the benefits are good, pay is reasonable, workload is light, and i would be very difficult to replace.  i feel like with law school on the horizon i should stay put.

nathanielmark, I'm in software testing/analysis for a health insurance company in VA.  I've been here since I graduated college six years ago.  Don't get me wrong, they've treated me well and it's been a great opportunity, but I'm so over it now.  I never imagined IT as a career goal, and this company has gotten more Office Space with each passing day. 

Luckily, my boss is incredibly supportive.  She wrote an amazing and kick ass LOR, and now she's getting mad that I haven't heard yet!  It was hilarious in my yearly review/goals meeting a few months ago.  It was kind of fun to make up goals, especially since both my boss and I know I'm not planning on sticking around much longer.  She thought I should put law school as a goal, but I didn't want to tempt fate! 

nathanielmark

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2004, 02:24:30 PM »
 im sure it will work out for you.  it sounds your workplace is a little more upbeat then mine also.  we have had continual layoffs here and though in hindsight they were probably necessary, they have taken their toll on morale.  anyway, i can be a bit of a complainer also and things probably are not as bleak as i perceive them to be.

anyway, best of luck!

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2004, 02:31:42 PM »
im sure it will work out for you.  it sounds your workplace is a little more upbeat then mine also.  we have had continual layoffs here and though in hindsight they were probably necessary, they have taken their toll on morale.  anyway, i can be a bit of a complainer also and things probably are not as bleak as i perceive them to be.

anyway, best of luck!

Thanks, and to you as well! :)

My boss is a rarity here.  My company has been through mergers that have steadily increased paranoia and chipped at morale.  We've been spared massive layoffs, but it's definitely not the happy place it was when I got here.  In this year-long process of applying to law school, I've also distanced myself from my job and its nasty politics, so maybe that's helped, too.

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2004, 02:43:25 PM »
i fear being forgotten.
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**