Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Reception... Going?  (Read 1577 times)

GULCbound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Georgetown Reception... Going?
« on: January 05, 2005, 05:03:35 PM »
Anyone going to that thing on the 27th and 28th at Georgetown?
LSAT: 171 / UGPA: 3.43

Accepted: Georgetown ED, Northwestern, Boston College
Denied: None
Applied but Withdrew: BU, Duke, UPenn, UVA, American, GW

Nalgene

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown Reception... Going?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »
Yeah, I am headed to it. I live in Las Vegas, but I have two buddy passes to fly on JetBlue out there, so I figure it will be  nice vacation in DC for me and my girlfriend.

Do you think it will be worth it to go to the whole thing?  I just want to get a sense for GULC before I make decisions.

GULCbound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 05:13:47 PM »
I am only going to go to part of it. Then again, I already made my decision and I am definitely going to Gtown, so I don't need to gather as much info on the place as possible to make a decision. I think some of the events on the schedule won't tell you that much about the school itself... I am going to the beginning welcome, the student panel, and campus tour on Thursday. Not sure if I am going to do much on Friday though.

Nalgene

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I don't want to spend time at a breakfast and financial aid meeting on friday, so really the most important part for me is the welcome, tour and dinner on thurs to meet with alums and faculty and see the school and people.
Why did you apply ED? Anything specific draw you to G-town?

GULCbound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:31:56 PM »
The fact that it is in D.C. and that I work with (I'm a paralegal at an NYC firm), and my sister works with (she's an attorney at the SEC) a lot of satisfied alums. I also heard great things about UVA and UPenn, but felt like my chances were better at Gtown. According to what people I work with tell me GTown, unlike UVA or UPenn, has a more competitive and less fraternal and cooperative environment, which in my case pushes me to work a bit harder. I like competition, otherwise I slack (see GPA). I also like the fact that Gtown has a big class. I went to a tiny undergrad and hated it. Also, I went to undergrad in the middle of nowhere Massachusetts, so I wanted to be in a city for law school, ideally a city where my boyfriend could also live and find a job w/ his grad degree in Envi policy.

And to be brutally honest, with my less than stellar GPA, I needed to cushion my chances by applying early.

dabbycool

• 169/3.61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:34:41 PM »
I will be there, so look forward to meeting you all!

Nalgene

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 05:46:17 PM »
I actually think that will be a cool part of the reception- getting to see and know who my potential classmates are. Hopefully its a good sample so I can decide if G-town is right for me. Out of where I am accepted so far, its my #1 choice.

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 07:45:03 PM »
I'll be there :)

can someone point the schedule for it, I never got mine- screwy mail!

maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 10:10:33 PM »
I might go there on Thursday, but I don't know if I could find the parking place >:( Friday, not sure. I don't wanna take a day off just for their breakfast.

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 01:15:30 AM »
I'm planning on going.  I hope to go both days if for no other reason than to meet as many people as possible.  I'm already flying up that week for work.  We'll see how much time off I can arrange.  Dang report...
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008