Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?  (Read 1425 times)

marcman

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 103
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?
« on: April 27, 2004, 10:13:22 PM »
Hi all,
I just accpeted off the Washington and Lee Waitlist. Its my second choice after Notre Dame where I also on the WL> My question is:
Can I say yes to W&L (in the likely posssibility that I don't get accepted from the ND WL) and then back out if I do get into ND? I suppose I'll have to give a deposit to W&L to secure my spot, which as long as its reasonable (not huge $), Im willing to lose to go to ND.
Should I tell W&L about ND or not even mention it to them and just accept their offer?
Thank alot for any insight.

deleted1248163264128

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 10:18:41 PM »
If it were me, I'd send in the deposit to W&L and not say anything about ND.  If you do happen to get in at ND, just tell W&L that your situation has changed.  Who cares what they think if you're not going there?  That's just me though...good luck!   :)

calguy815

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 158
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 10:26:30 PM »
If you are willing to give up the deposit, then my vote is also to definitely just say yes to W&L and not even mention ND.

Think about it:  If you don't get into ND and end up going to W&L, you wouldn't want W&L to know that they were your second choice and that you would have chosen another school over them in a heartbeat but you weren't good enough to get into the other one.  Nothing good can come out of disclosing such information, IMO.

odes

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 72
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 10:33:40 PM »
I think it is totally valid to accept the offer from W&L and wait for ND. Congrats on getting accepted off of the waitlist. It looks like some schools on the east coast are using their wait lists this year. Marcman-Did you hear anything from Wake on your waitlist situation? I know you don't care but I was just wondering because they said they were going to start making decisions last Thursday and I haven't heard anything. Take care and congrats again on your acceptance.

marcman

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 103
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
Re: Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 12:45:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.  :) I suppose I just won't mention it to W&L.
odes: nothing on Wake as of now, but GL to ya.

Britlawyer

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saying yes to a Waitlist then backing out?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 05:40:52 PM »
What happens to any financial aid in that situation if you accept a place at one graduate school and then later pull out to go to another?

As I understood it you can only accept one financial aid offer from one graduate school so what happens if you change your mind?