Law School Discussion

landing judicial clerkships

landing judicial clerkships
« on: April 27, 2004, 05:53:18 PM »
what are the best schools for landing judicial clerships?  i was just looking over washington and lee's employment numbers and they seem like they are geared toward this.  are any other schools this way?  thanks.

jgruber

Re: landing judicial clerkships
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 05:54:05 PM »
This might be better posted on the student side of this site.

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 05:55:54 PM »
Depends.  Supreme Court- HYS, and some of the other top dogs.  The district and circuit courts and all that good stuff are easier.  You usually have to do very well in your class though.  I've heard doing clerkships with lower courts isn't as prestigious as you might think.

One key thing, if you aren't going to a top dog school, seems to be going to a school that is top dog within a city or region.  ASU (only school in Phoenix) sends almost a quarter of their students to clerkships.

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 08:01:23 PM »
The biggest problem with clerkship %'s is that most of those people are not clerking at the fed level.  Circuit clerkships (the best way to get a supreme court clerkship, and an impressive credential in its own right) are VERY competitive, and I've heard that you pretty much need to be at the top of your class at a top school to get them. . .

NothingSpecial

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 11:43:27 AM »
Can someone tell me what cklerkships are all about?  Like, what do you do, how much do they pay, where do they help you go? 

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 11:47:51 AM »
HYS are not the only way to get clerkships.  Last year, GW placed two students with U.S. Supreme Court Justices.  That is two out of 18 coming from GW.

NothingSpecial

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:51:50 AM »
Can someone tell me what cklerkships are all about?  Like, what do you do, how much do they pay, where do they help you go? 

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:57:15 AM »
Seton Hall is #2 in the country for clerkship placement: ~40% of the class every year.  That said, most are state and lower-level federal courts in New Jersey and, to a lesser degree, the New York City metro area.

kristay

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 12:02:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, what's #1? 

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 03:36:01 PM »
yale sends something like 42% of it's graduating class on to clerkships.