Law School Discussion

UCLA or USC

UCLA or USC
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:53:41 PM »
I'm tryin to choose between UCLA and USC.  (Well, I'm waitlisted for UCLA, but just thinking ahead I spose).

Cost is about the same (I got $12000/yr from USC).  I intend to go into patent law someday.  Anyone have any advice?

And does anyone know if it's common to drive to school for either school?  Or do most people live really close by and walk to campus?

Thanks.

thechoson

Re: UCLA or USC
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 04:55:40 PM »
Go to UCLA.  I am an undergrad here so I am biased.  If you want info on the school, im me at lostintime95.

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 04:58:47 PM »
my vote is for UCLA.

I don't think anyone would want to live close to USC.  It is in the middle of a very dangerous neighborhood.  Fortunately it is pretty centrally located in LA so you can live just about anywhere.  From what I remember about UCLA is nobody can afford to live close to campus. It is in between Belair and Westwood = expensive but very nice. So living off campus and driving in is the norm for both schools

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 05:36:17 PM »
I vote UCLA, but that is because I wanted to go there. :)

On a side note... I didn't think living near USC was all that awful. I spent a summer doing volunteer work in LA and lived in a SC frat house (and no the frat was not living there at the time). I walked everywhere, rode (sp?) the bus, etc... I wouldn't wonder around late at night alone, but I felt perfectly safe walking around at night with at one boy or one girl.  Housing should be cheaper in this area than at UCLA.  There are a lot of fun things to do near SC (same goes for UCLA).

Which school is ranked better for patent law?  In the end, it's really up to you. Good luck!

chooster99

• 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 05:46:07 PM »
I think it depends on what you want out of law school.  USC will pamper you more and the alumni connections are world-renowned.  UCLA is a little bit more prestigious and a tad more national, but I don't think it's signifcantly better.  If I were in your position I would choose USC, simply because it costs the same when everything is said and done.  Huge public schools like UCLA can't help but treat you like a number.  Call the administrations of both schools and you will see what I am talking about.  Good luck with your decision though, you can't go wrong either way!

kevinc

• GPA: 3.69, LSAT:165
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:39:49 AM »
you're in the same position as me. i'm in at usc, and waitlisted at ucla. as of now, i'm set on going to usc, unless i get in at ucla or at the other schools i'm waitlisted at (berkeley, upenn, cornell, georgetown). but, as i'm sure you already know, getting waitlisted at a top twenty school is pretty much like gettin a polite rejection.

so, i'm not even planning ahead. as far as i'm concerned, i'm off to usc next year, and that's final.

go to usc!! hahah

rwhitman

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 02:44:43 PM »
I'm tryin to choose between UCLA and USC.  (Well, I'm waitlisted for UCLA, but just thinking ahead I spose).

Cost is about the same (I got $12000/yr from USC).  I intend to go into patent law someday.  Anyone have any advice?

And does anyone know if it's common to drive to school for either school?  Or do most people live really close by and walk to campus?

Thanks.

I have a 168 lsat with a 3.3 gpa, per chiasu.com that gives a 15% chance at UCLA and 35% at USC. Does UCLA place significantly more emphasis on GPA than does USC? I know UCLA has a lower admittance rate than does USC but I would think that UCLA and USC would have comparable admission numbers. The LSAC index formula .pdf file does not have UCLA listed so I am assuming they do not use an index formula but instead take a more holistic approach.  ???

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 03:29:46 PM »
ucla gets a ton more applicants; that's why your chances are slimmer there.

rwhitman

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 03:32:33 PM »
ucla gets a ton more applicants; that's why your chances are slimmer there.

I'm guessing that's mainly due to location- belair v. central LA, and from the slightly higher ranking. From the other posts here it doesn't seem like there is any major difference in quality. Thanks for clearing that up though Lexy.

lexylit

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 03:38:31 PM »
actually working at a firm with 2 offices, LA and OC, i do hear about differences in quality. Most find ucla higher quality than sc. the different numbers of apps, though, is in large part due to the vast difference in price tag. everyone and her mom applies to la 'cause it's not only a great school, it's a cheap great school for residents. sc is mad pricey.

we talked about this on an earlier post too-- sc just lost a very strong faculty member to duke, which might hurt it

my close friend ended up transferring to columbia from usc...