Law School Discussion

Going to Columbia?

Bearizzzle

• Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
Going to Columbia?
« on: January 04, 2005, 08:42:06 AM »
Just thought I'd start a discussion for those of you who are certian/almost certain that you will end up at CLS.

Tell a little about yourself, your visit to Columbia, where you've looked into living, etc.

I'll start :)
I applied ED to Columbia. It was my first choice so I am so excited :) I graduated in May of 04 and have been working for the past few months for a firm that does business research.

I'm most looking forward to int'l law classes and I am currently thinking that I'd like to practice int'l trade law....we'll see!

I visited last week and I saw the new law school dorm - Lenfest. The building itself and all of the common areas were very nice, but I was not able to see an actual room. I did speak to a resident, though, and he said the rooms were very, very nice. The building is very new - built in Aug 2003.

Also toured around the law school building. It was simultaneously very terrifying and awe-inspiring ;)

So....anyone else?

Bearizzzle

• Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 10:11:57 AM »
awww, no one :(

well, it looks like i'm graduating #1 as it stands :)

i hope some cool people start hearing. keep me posted!

kina

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:30:12 PM »
I don't know if you're still around... but I'm pretty sure I'm going!  I loved the Columbia area because it was so quiet and clean.  I also liked that there was easy access to a relatively large supermarket, Asian market, and the public library!  It looks like you didn't see a room at Lenfest, but I did, and it was NICE.  It was an efficiency:  very decent sized room for a bed, desk, and closet; a decent sized bathroom; and a smaller kitchen.  I didn't get to see any of the other housing options, though.  Did you have a chance to sit in on a class?  I looked in on one, and the students seemed very intense/focused.  There was ONE guy in back who was playing solitaire  :).   

dreamer1

• CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 03:37:38 PM »
I also wanted to start a Columbia thread, but decided that there was must already be one somewhere and therefore I should search for it first.

I am pretty much Columbia bound. Unless a comparable schools offers lots of money, which seems unlikely at this point.

I am very familiar with the Columbia area, since I spent four years there already. I always used to think about how easy it is for me to enter the law school building but how hard it was to actually "go" there. Well, who say's dreams don't come true, eh?

In terms of housing, I think I am strongly leaning towards the W 115th street apartments, just because of the proximity to everything. Lenfest feels a bit up there, and I prefer to stay in btwn broadway and amsterdam, without having to cross over to morningside heights (not the hood).

I will visit, although I gotta say, it's a tad bit intimidating...oh..happy musings... ;)

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 07:28:55 PM »
I'm still debating about whether to go to Columbia or not. We'd be coming from out of state (and don't know anyone in NYC) and wouldn't be eligible for the subsidized housing offered by the school (because we have 3 pets that we can't leave behind). Does anyone have any general advice on off-campus housing? Do most landlords have income requirements, even for students? About what percentage of apartments allow pets? How long will it take to find a place and where would be our best bet?
Thanks.

MBUSA

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »
So I'm almost sure i'll be going to Columbia too. (By almost sure, I mean I will be turning in my letter/deposit later this week.)

Oh, a quick Columbia question. I'm planning on visiting one of the law school's "Mondays at Columbia" things. But as someone who's pretty set on the school, I think learning about housing would be far more useful. Has anyone called ahead to see if they could get some more in-depth info about housing during their visit?

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 06:14:57 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm up here visiting CLS right now!  It's my first time in NYC!  I'm here early, but will be at the Admit Days on Wed-Thurs.  Anyone else going?  I'm excited now that I'm here - Columbia is beautiful and NYC rocks.  Also met the big public interest dean at dinner tonight and who will be speaking at the public interest panel on thursday - she was so kind and this visit has definitely drummed up my Columbia interest so far.

quickone

• 3.67/174
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 06:23:03 PM »
i'm pretty sure i'm going to columbia.  i loved the area, it was very laid back and i liked being out of the "rush" of the city while still being right up the road.

about housing--I applied for an apartment share on 115th street.  when i visited i didn't get to go in these, but i visited surrounding apartments and the students said that they were very similar.  They were really nice, huge compared to what i was expecting, and felt more "homey" than lenfest.  to tell you the truth, i think i would be miserable if i were placed in that building.  the building is nice and new, but the rooms have a very sterile feel, a cross between a hospital room and a hotel room.  they weren't all that big, and i definitely wouldn't pay 1400/month to live there.

the area around columbia is nothing like what people build it up to be.  i was expecting a wasteland with nothing but crack dealers and gunfire.  ha.  nothing like that at all.  it's not in harlem, and there are plenty of restaurants and coffee shops around.

tame

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 08:02:25 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm up here visiting CLS right now! It's my first time in NYC! I'm here early, but will be at the Admit Days on Wed-Thurs. Anyone else going? I'm excited now that I'm here - Columbia is beautiful and NYC rocks. Also met the big public interest dean at dinner tonight and who will be speaking at the public interest panel on thursday - she was so kind and this visit has definitely drummed up my Columbia interest so far.
I'll be at the admit day on Thursday - probably won't be at the reception Wed. night though because I have to work.  I'm excited!  Mobell (and anyone else going this Thurs.), do you know what classes you're planning to sit in on yet?  I just got an email today with a list of them and there are so many, I don't even know where to start...

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 06:56:28 AM »
Mobell (and anyone else going this Thurs.), do you know what classes you're planning to sit in on yet?  I just got an email today with a list of them and there are so many, I don't even know where to start...

Yeah, that email really got me excited too.  Right now I'm planning to sit in on Advanced Con Law: The Presidency, Office and Powers, Civil Rights, and the Religious Minorities Seminar.