Author Topic: URM  (Read 2125 times)

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
URM
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:34:48 AM »
So are GLBT considered URMs?  Do most applications have a place to indicate that?  Also, I am a bisexual woman and could indicate so on an application but are there people who aren't really GLBT saying that they are so that they can be an Under-represented minority?  Because GLBT is awfully hard to prove. 

Just curious,
Andrea
Attending:  NOTRE DAME
Accepted: IOWA, go Hawks (full tuition), Vanderbilt (10K), Wash & Lee (20K), Notre Dame (22.5K/yr)
Rejected: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Harvard  (Their loss)
Waitlisted: GULC (preferred), Penn, Cornell

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
Re: URM
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:47:57 AM »
So are GLBT considered URMs?  Do most applications have a place to indicate that?  Also, I am a bisexual woman and could indicate so on an application but are there people who aren't really GLBT saying that they are so that they can be an Under-represented minority?  Because GLBT is awfully hard to prove. 

Just curious,
Andrea

There was a discussion about this a couple days back. The consensus is that you will have to prove your bisexuality to the adcomms.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:53:30 AM »
How?  I'm not seeing anybody right, I don't have a partner they could talk to.  Was there anybody who posted who had to prove they were gay or bisexual?  And how did that work out for them?

Andrea
Accepted: IOWA, go Hawks (full tuition), Vanderbilt (10K), Wash & Lee (20K), Notre Dame (22.5K/yr)

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:54:49 AM »
How?  I'm not seeing anybody right, I don't have a partner they could talk to.  Was there anybody who posted who had to prove they were gay or bisexual?  And how did that work out for them?

Andrea

Don't listen to the russian.  it was all a joke.  and I think actual consensus is GLBT is not URM.  There's too many of us in LS.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »

Andrea

Don't listen to the russian.  it was all a joke.  and I think actual consensus is GLBT is not URM.  There's too many of us in LS.

There's too many of you around here too!  >:(

I'm glad Halky knows I'm joking  ;D
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 10:57:38 AM »
There's too many of you around here too!  >:(

:P
you love it.  I'm the only one who can keep up with your dirty mind while klasyk is MIA ;).
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 11:14:27 AM »
That's kind of a bummer.  I'm worried about my numbers for the top 14 schools and I thought it might boost me up a little if they were like, "Oooh, a bisexual female Theatre major, we don't have one of those!"   ;D

Andrea

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 03:06:44 PM »
My guess is that you'd get "diversity points" if you included a diversity statement, or included a such-themed PS. Personally, I think it would help. I don't know if it means anything, but a couple of the first-round stanford admitees were either URMs or LGBT. :)

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:42:14 PM »
My guess is that you'd get "diversity points" if you included a diversity statement, or included a such-themed PS. Personally, I think it would help. I don't know if it means anything, but a couple of the first-round stanford admitees were either URMs or LGBT. :)

Do you think it's a good thing to send a difersity statement, even if they don't ask for one?  I wrote the one-page optional diversity essay (based on my socioeconomic status and sexual orientation) for Penn and have considered making some revised versions tailored to other schools and sending them out as well.

maricutie

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »
Yes!! Definetely !! I sent a socio-econ addendum, as well as a post-grad essay, to all schools -- even those that didn't require it. I figure it can only help. Worst case they wont read it. :)