Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My story  (Read 2197 times)

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My story
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:34:28 AM »
I took the LSAT in December 2003 and received a 147. I had spent a year preparing for the LSAT and even with preparations I was not getting over 150 mark.  I have a 3.5 GPA and I applied to Fordham, Pace, New York Law and Brooklyn.  I was already rejected at Fordham (no surprise).  What are my chances at this point with getting into the rest?

Also at this point I have been working as a Paralegal for the past 10 years with 2 small children at home.  My biggest concern is that if I go to NY law or Pace I may make less money coming out of law school than I currently make now.

What are your thoughts.

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My story
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:20:50 AM »
I took the LSAT in December 2003 and received a 147. I had spent a year preparing for the LSAT and even with preparations I was not getting over 150 mark.  I have a 3.5 GPA and I applied to Fordham, Pace, New York Law and Brooklyn.  I was already rejected at Fordham (no surprise).  What are my chances at this point with getting into the rest?

Also at this point I have been working as a Paralegal for the past 10 years with 2 small children at home.  My biggest concern is that if I go to NY law or Pace I may make less money coming out of law school than I currently make now.

What are your thoughts.

As far as your chances, I'm not familiar with NY area schools, so I'm afraid I can't help you there, but have you tried http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html?  That site lets you enter your GPA and LSAT score, and shows your odds of getting into all the ABA schools.  It seems important to make sure you're applying to some schools where at least one of your stats falls near or above their 75th percentile, and the other is at least around their 25th percentile, to give you at least a shot. 

<<My biggest concern is that if I go to NY law or Pace I may make less money coming out of law school than I currently make now.>>

I'm actually struggling with that myself right now.  I'm 32 and have a fairly lucrative job, but I'm bored.  But, just about anywhere I go, I'm likely to come out making not all that much more than I'm making now, with $200K in loans to boot.  I guess it's just going to come down to a gut feeling as to what will be right for me in the long run, but I can completely understand your apprehension!

Attending: W&M

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:28:11 AM »
Thanks Monkey.  I will roll the dice and see where I end up and in the end decide if it is right.

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:39:52 AM »
Lizard D

I don't have specific information from my employer. Pace's web site of employment statistics, for example, shows that pay after graduation may be lower than my current salary. 

Thanks for your input.  I am playing the waiting game.  I applied to these schools in September and I figure they may start making decisions this month. 

Also when I took the test in December 2003, it was canceled due to a snow storm.  My test center was relocated 50 miles away and it snowed the day I took the LSAT. 

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 11:05:58 AM »
Hi Jim!

I think with your GPA and WE that you have an excellent chance at both Pace and NYLS. As far as the financial aspect goes, I think you really have to ask yourself why you want to be an attorney. If your desire to actually do the job outwieghs a smaller paycheck, then you are doing the right thing. But remember, it is A LOT to put yourself through simply for the prospect of a bigger salary.

Well, if you decide to go, I definitely hope to see you there!!! :)
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 11:12:09 AM »
Thanks LegalKitty.  I think that looking long term at the big picture I do want to go.  The waiting game is just hard.  We will see and maybe I will see you at Pace.  I don't think I want New York Law even if I do get in.  Pace seemed a better fit.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 11:47:29 AM »
Thanks LegalKitty.  I think that looking long term at the big picture I do want to go.  The waiting game is just hard.

God, that's the truth. If I only knew for sure that I would be going SOMEWHERE next year, I could relax a little. But not even knowing that makes the waiting unbearable, and I am afraid I have a long way to go. And I agree, Pace would be great!!! Definitely hope to see you there.

bhvexille

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 11:50:09 AM »
People at pace seem to like it a lot.  Everyone knows eachother, and people aren't too competitive (although don't expect your classmates to tutor you during exam season)

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »
Pace would be a ridiculous commute for me, but I would still love to attend there. It really seems like a unique school, and I got the feeling that they really do consider the whole person, rather than just their numbers.

My interview went well I think...and what I thought was interesting was that there were a few things on my app (other than my LSAT, which we addressed) that I saw as potential weaknesses, but my interviewer did not view them negatively at all. They really seem to be looking for people who know what they want that are well-rounded.

I just don't want to get my hopes up, but it's soooo hard!! :P

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 12:17:26 PM »
I know what you mean.  It was hard to judge how the interviewer was thinking and what they would write down.  If I choose Pace, I would need to relocate where I work.  Did you sit in on any classes at Pace.  I took a class in October and it was interesting.  The professor and people seemed very nice and the atmosphere relaxed.  I sat in on a class at New York Law and it was alot larger and the elevator was crowded just barely made it to the classroom on time.