Law School Discussion

jbm4

« on: January 03, 2005, 04:08:43 PM »

miguel

• View Profile
Re: Religious schools (Notre Dame, Cardozo, BYU, etc) and my misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 04:19:10 PM »
I have a couple of thoughts.

1) It's little surprise that you got into BYU and Cardozo, your LSAT and grades earned you both easily.

2) While I would also prefer a place that does not consider relgion "irrational," I don't think that there is much room for specific religion in American law. Morals are one thing, but there a fewer and fewer "shared" versions on topics that aren't no brainers (murder and mayhem are out anywhere). Thus, there is a need for science, reason, and ecumenical morality (all debatable topics in there own rite) in law, and not religion, per se. I think law chools that flout this are not only putting themselves on the fringe (see NY Times article) without intending to, but making themselves irrelevant for our scoiety. There is just too much dviersity in our country for any group to claim to have it all figured out for the rest of us.

That said, I think those schools, including Cardozo, will each be supportive of different and religious views as long as they are based in rationality and objectivity. Plenty of religious non jews go to Cardozo, and aside from Saturday library hours, I don't think too many have had any issues at all there with religion.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »
From what I remember, a Notre Dame recruiter told a friend (at the BYU Law Fair) that they weigh service rather heavily, which I took to mean more than most other schools.  If that's accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then you should be just fine.  I heard back from ND in only a few weeks, with the fellowship offer that many others received.  I don't think highlighting your church service lessens your chances anywhere.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 05:07:46 PM »
cardozo doesnt care much about your religious views.  they worship USNWR. help them get ahead of fordham and you're a loyal member of their faith. ;)

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 05:16:16 PM »
I think law chools that flout this are not only putting themselves on the fringe (see NY Times article) without intending to, but making themselves irrelevant for our scoiety.

To what NYT article are you referring?  I'd like to read it...

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 08:53:43 PM »
I think Notre Dame probably likes the Church service.  I have received about 100 mailers from ND and they have specifically included LDS missionary service as one of the things that makes some of their students diverse.  Also, Minnesota Adcomms have said they like Returned missionaries because they are always well-rounded.  That came from a financial aid fair at BYU last year..... (They also accept over 50% of the applicants from BYU)

Overall I think how well received BYU students are in the admissions process is a reflection of how well a school likes or respects religious service (I am assuming that most applicants who did ugrad at BYU have significant amounts of religious service) Did you go to BYU or do you go to BYU now? If so go to the pre-law advisement center and pick up the lsac action report it is pretty interesting.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
Guess I'll answer for jbm4 since he's offline.  From what I remember, he did undergrad at Utah but his parents both went to BYU.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 10:07:36 PM »
Sordomudo how much did Notre Dame give you if you don't mind me asking I am probably sending out my application tommorow. 

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 10:14:44 PM »
Sordomudo how much did Notre Dame give you if you don't mind me asking I am probably sending out my application tommorow. 

$18k/annually. Some with better numbers than mine I believe got a little less and some with slightly lower numbers got offered more.  Someone postulated that it might be because they want to offer the most money to those they feel they have the most realistic chance of getting to matriculate.  I have no idea, though.  For some reason I can't seem to find the thread where we all discussed receiving the admission email on December 20. HTH.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 10:20:57 PM »
I am hoping on full tuition at ND I would really consider that offer.  Have you gotten any offers with money from elsewhere? I just barely sent out my first batch of applications and I am sending more out tommorow and the next day hopefully I am not too late to get some money.