Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn..  (Read 1319 times)

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brooklyn..
« on: January 03, 2005, 04:33:16 PM »
How bad is it that my number one choice is a school I probably very little chance of getting in to? I really, really want to go to Brooklyn, but my numbers are 3.47/155. I've also applied to NYLS, since it's in NYC also, but Brooklyn is where I want to be.  I haven't actually sent in the applicatioin to Brooklyn yet .. should I really waste the money with my numbers? Are there other schools in the area that I have a shot at? I doubt St. John's is feasible, either, and I really need a school that might, just might, give me money .. this whole process stinks.
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn..
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 04:45:40 PM »
I think that you should give it a shot and apply.  See Brooklyn's web page it gives you the LSAT grid.

http://www.brooklaw.edu/admissions/generalinfo/matrix.php

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 04:51:10 PM »
There's also Hofstra and CUNY.
Fed gov't atty

winslow757

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 04:54:44 PM »
You should apply and also take the LSAT again in Feb (if you think you can do better). They do not have an official deadline and will accept a February score.

As it stands now, it is possible for you to be accepted, especially if you have some good 'intangibles' in your application, but if you got in it would be a bit of a cinderella story.
Accepted: Brooklyn w/17.5K, Suffolk, NYLS w/ 20K
Pending: Northeastern, Cardozo, American
Rejected: GW, Fordham (no surprise there)

158+164/3.74

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 10:42:43 PM »
Where's your UG degree from -- and what major?

I think you should give Brooklyn a shot, but I'd say the odds aren't that good.  You could also look at Seton Hall, Hofstra, and Pace.  CUNY probably isn't a great option unless you know you want to do public interest law.  NYLS isn't bad. 

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 12:51:57 PM »
Where's your UG degree from -- and what major?

I think you should give Brooklyn a shot, but I'd say the odds aren't that good.  You could also look at Seton Hall, Hofstra, and Pace.  CUNY probably isn't a great option unless you know you want to do public interest law.  NYLS isn't bad. 

Haha by telling you my UG school and major, my case isn't getting any better :) I am about to graduate from Auburn University (and for those of you that watched the Sugar Bowl .. WAR EAGLE!) with a degree in Criminology (I really want to do criminal law).  I have like a 3.65 or maybe a 3.7 in my major now after the 4.0 I got this past semester, and a 3.473 overall.
I did some extensive research last night on Seton Hall and I'm just not sure my chances are that much better there than they are at Brooklyn.  I'm not wild about Hofstra because I've heard some sketchy stuff about the town the school is in. I haven't even thought to look at Pace.  I might just look in to CUNY (it's Queens, right?) and see about it, but I guess my biggest hope now will be for NYLS.
Thanks for your advice..

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 01:37:43 PM »
Hmmm... Auburn isn't a bad university -- won't hurt you or help you I think.  But criminology isn't traditionally seen as an "intellectual" major... So that might hurt you a little -- not a lot, but a little.  The fact that the trend in your grades is good will help you a lot.

Trust me, you're more likely to get into Seton than Brooklyn, I'm sure of it.  Seton has been trying to get their LSAT's up, but at the expense of other credentials I think.

I've been to Hempstead -- it's okay, not dangerous or anything.  You should apply -- it's a free app if you apply online (through their website or on the LSAC site).  And Hofstra places its grads in great jobs -- mostly law firms on Long Island, but good jobs nonetheless.  Rockville Center (I think that's what it's called) and several really nice towns are close to Hempstead.... trust me, Hempstead isn't all that nice, but it's not dangerous.

Again, I wouldn't tend towards CUNY unless Public Interest law is a main interest.  Definately try for NYLS, Pace, Hofstra, and Seton I would say. 

The other thing is that there are rumors that some schools might be easier to get into than last year ... might help you a bit in NYC area.

You could also look outside of the NYC area -- have you thought of that?

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »
I would look at Pace before CUNY.

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 02:12:12 PM »
Hmmm... Auburn isn't a bad university -- won't hurt you or help you I think.  But criminology isn't traditionally seen as an "intellectual" major... So that might hurt you a little -- not a lot, but a little.  The fact that the trend in your grades is good will help you a lot.

Trust me, you're more likely to get into Seton than Brooklyn, I'm sure of it.  Seton has been trying to get their LSAT's up, but at the expense of other credentials I think.

I've been to Hempstead -- it's okay, not dangerous or anything.  You should apply -- it's a free app if you apply online (through their website or on the LSAC site).  And Hofstra places its grads in great jobs -- mostly law firms on Long Island, but good jobs nonetheless.  Rockville Center (I think that's what it's called) and several really nice towns are close to Hempstead.... trust me, Hempstead isn't all that nice, but it's not dangerous.

Again, I wouldn't tend towards CUNY unless Public Interest law is a main interest.  Definately try for NYLS, Pace, Hofstra, and Seton I would say. 

The other thing is that there are rumors that some schools might be easier to get into than last year ... might help you a bit in NYC area.

You could also look outside of the NYC area -- have you thought of that?

Yes, I am applying to schools outside of NYC. I've already applied to Quinnipiac, and I'm looking at Syracuse, Suffolk, Rutgers-Newark, and maybe a few others that I have not decided on.  NYC Is just a big dream of mine, so obviously that area is my first choice.  I would, however, be willing to go to school outside of the area if that's what it comes to.  Anything, to me, is better than being stuck in south Alabama for the rest of my life!

I'm going to think about Hofstra a little more, especially since the application is free.  And I'll probably go through with the Seton Hall app, also .. Thanks again for your advice .. it's always really nice to get someone else's opinion that has an idea about what is going on.  All of my friends/family around here have no clue and think I should apply to places like NYU and Columbia haha :)  Appreciate it!

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »
Yea, friends and family generally try to be helpful but aren't.  I had one person tell me that he thought the best schools in New York City were Columbia and Pace... helpful but a bit crazy, ya know?