Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: possibly a dumb question: are 3rd tier schools easier than 1st?  (Read 2394 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
possibly a dumb question: are 3rd tier schools easier than 1st?
« on: January 03, 2005, 12:47:30 PM »
I posted yesterday about my debate between a 3rd tier and 1st tier school. Now I'm wondering, is it easier to do well at a 3rd tier school? how much easier? I would assume that it would be, though I don't know by how much....

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
Re: possibly a dumb question: are 3rd tier schools easier than 1st?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 12:50:44 PM »
I posted yesterday about my debate between a 3rd tier and 1st tier school. Now I'm wondering, is it easier to do well at a 3rd tier school? how much easier? I would assume that it would be, though I don't know by how much....

Easier by a LOT.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 12:52:40 PM »
Um, not easier at all.  In fact, at many it's harder and the students can be more cut throat since they all feel like they have to be the best since they'll be competing with grads from higher ranked schools.

bhvexille

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »
It's definately harder because only the very very top grads at the bottom ranked schools will get the good paying jobs they're all dreaming about.

Also, the professors probably aren't as good, yet you'll probably be expected to learn the same things people at yale are learning

domovoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Tell them T-Bone, Tell them!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 01:22:49 PM »
From everything i've heard it seems like it will be easier in a Tier 3 school, you just won't know it.

For example: In many Tier 3 schools you'll be required to do daily briefs, while in some(not sure what the percentage is) Tier1 schools you won't be required to do much until the final.

Also the requirements are a little bit more lax in certain Tier3 schools.

Also look at their BAR performance - compare NYU and Queens percentages. Discounting the theory that NYU is composed of uber-people, the education that you receive at NYU is clearly worth more than at Queens, which generally(not always) means it is more difficult.

So if by "easy" you mean the difficulty of classes, i'd say third tier is definitely "easier." If you mean the environment - it's going to be tough everywhere, they're all lawyers. Just read some Georgetown horror stories with people hiding textbooks in the library and cutting out pages other people need.
Accepted: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Fordham, FPLC.
Pending:UCLA.
DENIED: UPenn, Northwestern, GWU(Waitlist), BU(Waitlist).
164/3.43, Engineering, Non-URM

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 02:44:53 PM »
you'll probably have a lot of people at a tier 3 school who are hoping to transfer up to a tier 1 or 2 school, so then you have that extra competition during the first year of "i have to be way at the top of my class so i can transfer."
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 08:06:08 PM »
in the sense of being cutthroat, the average 3rd tier school may be worse than the average 1st tier school.

it's anecdotal, but i have a friend who is a 1L at albany. we used the same book in our property classes (dukeminier and krier). at fordham, we read every page of the assigned sections (we cut out a few sections, but did over 1000 pages during the semester) and even had a supplemental packet with about ten more casees. my friend wasn't assigned as much: in the sections her class read, they wouldn't be assigned every case, and there were no other materials required. so, my class at fordham had more material for which we were responsible. i don't know if it's the same elsewhere, as that's the only direct comparison i can make between schools using the same text.

DOWNY

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 08:10:49 PM »

It is unlikely that either will be easy, but if you go to a T1 at least you won't attend a TTT.

Lola_lee04

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »
I had a visiting professor from Temple at my T14.  Her past exams were much easier than the exam she gave us this semester, not sure if it was a fluke or if she purposely made this exam harder.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 10:12:38 PM »
hey downy (or any other 1Ls), did you use the D&K casebook in property? if so, what did you do?