Law School Discussion

What does the raise of 25%-75% LSAT and GPA actually mean?

What does the raise of 25%-75% LSAT and GPA actually mean?
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:08:30 AM »
Obviously, the 25%-75% UGPA and LSAT of admitted students of many schools have raised significantly in the past decade. What does that actually mean?

The entering class in 2004 are more intelligent than students entering 1994?
The first year grades/performances of the entering class in 2004 will be better than students entering 1994?
Is there any value of comparing these scores temporally?

I am curious because many schools seem to be very proud of the index increase.
However, except comparing to the same index of other competing law schools at the same application cycle, I don't see any meaning of stating "The median UGPA and LSAT for those offered admission this year were the highest in the history blah blah."

PS: correct my English if it's terribly wrong. I appreciate.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: What do the raise of 25%-75% LSAT and GPA actually mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 08:18:20 AM »
The raise is simple.  With the economy tanking, more and more people either went for law school right after undergrad, or people who had careers and got fired decided to go into academia to escape the working world for a bit.

The vast increase in applications meant that there were many more "qualified" applicants with higher scores.  So in the past, Yale would accept 75% of their class from the top 95th percentile of applicants, and would "dip" into the rest of the pool for the last quarter of their class.  But with more applicants, they could take 100% of their class from that 95th percentile.

This means that the highly qualified applicants that were in, say, the 93rd percentile that would have gotten accepted to Yale are now accepted at Columbia instead.

So Yale's index number rises due to accepting those better applicants and leaving out the "lower" numbers, as does Columbia's stats, and every other law school below them.

This is obviously over simplified, but that's pretty much the gist of it.  More applications = more highly qualifed candidates = more competitive admissions cycle.

With the economy getting better, more people will go back into the work force, and more recent grads will test the waters before going for law school, and the number of applications will decrease, forcing a slight drop in index numbers.

Re: What does the raise of 25%-75% LSAT and GPA actually mean?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:21:37 AM »
The economic factor is definitely at hand, but I also think grade and LSAT inflation play a role too.  Even if the same number of applicants were applying, I believe the numbers would still show an increasing trend because colleges give out higher and higher grades every year, and because more people spend money on LSAT prep classes. 

bhvexille

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:27:49 AM »
Aren't LSAT scores normalized?

So if the average 25th and 75ths of all law schools are going up, then people with higher lsat scores used to just not go to law school, and now they go?  wtf?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 08:49:29 AM »
No.  It's not that people with higher scores just didn't go.  It's that way more people took the lsat to begin with.

75% of 10,000 is a much higher number than 75% of 1,000.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 08:51:12 AM »
No.  It's not that people with higher scores just didn't go.  It's that way more people took the lsat to begin with.

some may say 10 times... :)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 08:52:36 AM »

some may say 10 times... :)

smartass.  :-*

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 08:55:19 AM »
smartass.  :-*

I know, I just never have anything intelligent to say.

bhvexille

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 10:14:22 AM »
Oh

So the # of people taking the LSAT has been growing significantly?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 10:17:31 AM »
by leaps and bounds the last few years.